Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AVX Upgrade

hornedreaper33

Hey all,

Wanted to share a little project I have completed. I have recently started guiding with my C8 on an AVX mount. PHD2 complained about my dec backlash and my average error was around 1.5". I discovered vendors offering tune-ups for the AVX and after reading this (http://rocketsparrow.blogspot.com/2017/01/how-i-made-better-celestron-avx.html), decided I could probably do it myself.

IMG_20200219_193638.thumb.jpg.8608b04ba8e4b2b95bbc2ffc2feed46b.jpg

After obtaining the correct bearing (32007 taper roller bearing 65 x 32 x 18), I stripped down the mount. As I have access to a machine shop, I was able to machine the bearing bore a little deeper. This avoids increasing the gap between the RA axis head and the body as the new bearing is wider.

IMG_20200305_130702.thumb.jpg.960cc824b12acaddd34795707f9e8604.jpg

After cleaning everything and applying new grease, I reassembled with as little backlash as I could manage. 

IMG_20200306_190226.thumb.jpg.38d0ebbc3e7c20fbd5524021970c3100.jpg

The only other change I made was to cut down the big nylon (?) spacer that sits under the RA worm wheel so that it is the correct diameter.

Well, the mount is back together and we have some clear sky coming this weekend so I will report back with my findings. 

Clear skies.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did my CG5-AGT which preceded this mount and converted it to belt drive some years back.  When I tuned mine I just left  the original bearings apart  from cleaning them and re-greasing with WS2.  I did replace the worm gear bearings with ABEC7's though.

Recently I started planing a new phase which was to replace the  RA JESA v2 6007  bearing, so  I bought a FAG ABEC-7 7007 bearing (got 2 old stock  at £80 on ebay for much  less than a single  new one) and a  needle  roller bearing to replace the ball race.

I had  a spare pair of worms and their wheels from a previous purchase several years ago and I decided to buff them with WS2 powder and alcohol, in theory this should allow them to run without grease, metal on  metal. 

Then it occurred to me, surely  when  you put the clutch on to track or  goto, the only moving part is the motor and worm  which is just  walking around the wheel. The bearing  inside the mount wont be moving will it?

So  surely if thats true the only PE effect would be due to worm, wheel, motor and drive gears/belt? Is my logic correct or am I missing something?

Anyway, already got the new bearings and am just waiting on some new IF-WS2 nano lube (Inorganic Fullerene-Like Tungsten Disulfide (IF-WS2) - self  coating) to arrive from Europe

Once the bearings are changed not sure what else I can do to the CG5? (other than buy a new bigger Skywatcher mount 😂)

Edited by billhinge
typo
  • Like 1