Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

SoupDragon

Volcano Top eyepieces [all designs]

17 hours ago, GlenM said:

Hi Jules,

I hope all is well with you. Still raining in Queensbury?😀

Glen.

all good here Glen, i think its due to stop raining for a few days...............maybe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/03/2020 at 14:41, GlenM said:

I much preferred the volcano top design to the newer Fujiyama design. I did have a little input on the design of the Fujiyama. At least I got rid of the undercuts😀

Glen.

...and for that, Glen, you should be in the next New Year's Honours List !!:hello2:

Dave

• Like 2

I've owned many volcano tops over the years, both orthos and Kellners, and never had a poor one  - although I did have a couple of exceptionally good examples - probably ones that Mr Tani gave some extra polishing!

I mainly used mine in long focus (F11 to F15) refractors, and they just seemed to be a "match made in heaven", so to speak. I used several in my 80mm F15 achromat and they made a superb double star splitting combination, and the same could be said in my D&G US 5" F15 refractor "Andromeda", now in the care of Steve (Saganite).

I agree that the BGO type flat tops had the slight performance edge, but were generally less comfortable for extended use, I felt.

I do remember 2 exceptional flat top orthos, both branded Antares HD Ortho (Hi Definition?), in 9mm and 12.5mm, which were just outstandingly sharp and contrasty. IIRC, at least one of these went to @Nightfisher a few years back.

Obviously, time moves on and more modern eyepieces can now offer a more technically advanced design/performance/value mix. I think of the Baader Morpheus range as offering the best blend of value and performance/excellence today, a kind of modern day Ortho equivalent but with wider fields and much better comfort levels..but I will always have a very soft spot for the wonderful VT orthos from Japan💘👍.

Dave

• Like 2