SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tele Vue Apollo 11 Special Edition Eyepiece

26 minutes ago, John said:

The 11mm is the only T6 Nagler that I have not owned or used oddly.

I think with me it's more a desire to have the set (2.5 - 13mm) than any real need for that particular f/l, although I do use 11mm from time-to-time.

3 hours ago, Nakedgun said:

I think with me it's more a desire to have the set (2.5 - 13mm) than any real need for that particular f/l, although I do use 11mm from time-to-time.

I had that desire because I had all the other T6 Naglers at one time. Then the Ethos desire caught hold ......... :rolleyes2:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, paulastro said:

The total price I paid for my binoviewer, x4 Orthos, Morpheus 17.5 mm, x2 Ultima  barlow, Baader Mk111 zoom, Baader 24 mm Hyperion and SW120ED all added together is less than the price of this 'special edition'.   Guess which I'll be taking to Kelling in October?  :)

Man, something is skewed with US/UK pricing.  The SW 120ED is $1925 here, the Baader Mark-III zoom is $289, the Baader Morpheus 17.5mm is $239, the Arcturus binoviewer is $180, 4 BCOs at $79 apiece would be $316, a used 2x Ultima would generally be $50, and a Baader 24mm Hyperion would be $147.  All this for a grand total of $3146.  The Apollo 11 is $1245, 40% of this total.  Even if you bought everything in your list used at 60% of new, that would still be about $1900.  You must have gotten some serious bargains in your astro shopping.  My best would be the $200 I paid used for my AT72ED 6 years ago.  I did see a SW120ED with Moonlight focuser go for $800 used last year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Louis D said:

Man, something is skewed with US/UK pricing.  The SW 120ED is $1925 here, the Baader Mark-III zoom is $289, the Baader Morpheus 17.5mm is $239, the Arcturus binoviewer is $180, 4 BCOs at $79 apiece would be $316, a used 2x Ultima would generally be $50, and a Baader 24mm Hyperion would be $147.  All this for a grand total of $3146.  The Apollo 11 is $1245, 40% of this total.  Even if you bought everything in your list used at 60% of new, that would still be about $1900.  

Thank-you for noticing 🙂 

Steve 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Louis D said:

Man, something is skewed with US/UK pricing.  The SW 120ED is $1925 here, the Baader Mark-III zoom is $289, the Baader Morpheus 17.5mm is $239, the Arcturus binoviewer is $180, 4 BCOs at $79 apiece would be $316, a used 2x Ultima would generally be $50, and a Baader 24mm Hyperion would be $147.  All this for a grand total of $3146.  The Apollo 11 is $1245, 40% of this total.  Even if you bought everything in your list used at 60% of new, that would still be about $1900.  You must have gotten some serious bargains in your astro shopping.  My best would be the $200 I paid used for my AT72ED 6 years ago.  I did see a SW120ED with Moonlight focuser go for $800 used last year.

Quite right Louis, most items were used bargains.  For example the 120ED was about half price.  The Morpheus was new - but it was before the price rose by about £50, and also a special offer with a further £25 knocked off. 🙂

• Like 1

I dont think it's that big of a deal for some to get the ep for show. The way its sold packed in the box and price does kinda make it seem that way

I know many people have the fancy dining rooms where u only eat on it once a year. I even see many house holds with this too fancy living room too that r never used except special occasions 

I had a statue which is a show pisces

I also about $10,000 in a meteorite collection too. I dont really use or touch those. I have a Mars rock, moon, a comet and asteroid, I might have about 40 in total.

Some people r collectors and never use their items. Just look at car collectors or coin or stamp collectors.

Some have shelfs of nic naks or ornaments

Most of the time maybe 90% our scopes are show pics and sit in our livingroom or garage. Most people view a few times a month ue to family life not being clear or other things.

Each to their own if someone buy this ep for $1699 cdn and just puts it on a shelf that's fine with me.

Ps since it's just me and my son we have a dining rm table I have used once in 3 years when I host a big family outing 

joejaguar 

Edited by joe aguiar

My in-laws' living room is a museum of the '60s with slip covers on all the furniture and original green shag carpeting.  Everyone gathers in it once a year for the Christmas gift exchange and that's it.

15 minutes ago, Louis D said:

My in-laws' living room is a museum of the '60s with slip covers on all the furniture and original green shag carpeting.  Everyone gathers in it once a year for the Christmas gift exchange and that's it.

Sounds like my late Grandparents house - they had a "front room" that was only used occasionally. We used to get into trouble if we played in there !

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John said:

Sounds like my late Grandparents house - they had a "front room" that was only used occasionally. We used to get into trouble if we played in there !

My kids got in trouble all the time when visiting Grandma and Grandpa for playing in the "front room" living room as well.  They were supposed to play in the basement or outdoors.  My kids were so confused why there was a large, unusable room in their house.

The 11mm was the poorest selling Nagler, maybe the same as the 2.5mm (also discontinued).

Everyone who bought the 13mm skipped to the 9mm as the next size.

The Apollo 11 eyepiece was designed to commemorate the moon landing of the LEM of the Apollo 11 mission.

So of course it had to be 11mm.  It almost missed the 50th anniversary year because of some changes after the prototypes.

The Nagler wasn't discontinued because of the Apollo 11 eyepiece, but because of sales.

And if TeleVue came out with a long eye relief line of T7 Naglers, I'd suggest they skip 11mm.😀

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/03/2020 at 14:04, John said:

That must be the scoundrel in you John. It's probably genetic! 😊

• Haha 1

For what it’s worth - which is not very much compared to the Apollo - I love my Nagler T6 11mm. If I’m not zooming or binoviewing, it gets used all the time. Have always found it particularly sharp and comfortable, and it seems to be the ‘Goldilocks’ eyepiece for my scopes. Have never tried the 13mm, which also gets great reviews.

• Like 1

I had most of the Nagler eyepieces once of a day and really liked the 13mm and the 9mm, but felt the 11mm was in a bit of a no mans land, so I rarely used it. Then when the 13mm Ethos came out I immediately bought one and sold the 13mm Nagler. The 13mm Nagler was a real cuty compared to the ethos, but the ethos to my eye gave a purer view. It was also novel at the time to have a 100° eyepiece. Out of all the Nagler eyepieces I've owned, my favourites were the 7mm smoothy which I personally preferred to the later version of the 7mm, the 13mm, 20mm and 31mm. Today I don't possess a single Televue eyepiece, but if I were to reacquire any, I'd get the 20mm & 31mm and forget the rest.

• Like 1

On 10/03/2020 at 19:55, johninderby said:

The OVL Nirvana 82 degree eyepieces (4, 7, 16mm) would work really well in a 200p and would work nearly as well as Naglers.

My eyepiece collection at predominantly ES 82°. I do have a Nirvana 16 mm. 

I keep thinking of replacing it with an

ES  eyepiece. But it always performs so well. 

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 17:06, johninderby said:

American made astro goods are usualy  more expensive in the UK than the US but Chinese stuff is usualy cheaper in the UK than the US.

So is everything else because of import tax and shipping.

17 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I had most of the Nagler eyepieces once of a day and really liked the 13mm and the 9mm, but felt the 11mm was in a bit of a no mans land, so I rarely used it. Then when the 13mm Ethos came out I immediately bought one and sold the 13mm Nagler. The 13mm Nagler was a real cuty compared to the ethos, but the ethos to my eye gave a purer view. It was also novel at the time to have a 100° eyepiece. Out of all the Nagler eyepieces I've owned, my favourites were the 7mm smoothy which I personally preferred to the later version of the 7mm, the 13mm, 20mm and 31mm. Today I don't possess a single Televue eyepiece, but if I were to reacquire any, I'd get the 20mm & 31mm and forget the rest.

Partial to Pentax? 

4 hours ago, rkelley8493 said:

Partial to Pentax? 

Yes, I'm most definitely more of a Pantax fan than Televue. But like many things in this hobby, it really boils down to personal preferences and where our comfort zone lies.  Last night for example, I spent an hour and a half just sweeping around aimlessly. I was using my 17.5mm Morpheus for the first hour, but found as I tired, I struggled to keep my eye on axis, which caused blackout. I also became very aware after prolonged use, that i had to roll my eye around to see the full field. That's not so bad initially, but after an hour, it becomes tiresome and uncomfortable. After swapping the Morpheus for my 25mm Parks Gold and 18mm Celestron Ultima, the slightly narrower true field became much more comfortable to observe with (no eye rolling), and M81 & 82 would still both fit nicely into the field of view. Now I'm in yet another quandary - do I keep the 17.5mm Morpheus or sell it to free up funds???? :icon_scratch:

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Maybe it's time for somebody to buy a TeleVue Apollo 11 eyepiece  - before they become expensive

🙂

Based on this list from CN, Stef from the UK (Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK) bought one:

#005 – Stewc14 – Pueblo West, CO
#014 – Joe47 – Tucson, AZ
#018 – Starman 1 – Los Angeles, CA

#020 – J A Volk – Monrovia, CA
#026 – RichF – Mid Atlantic, USA
#036 – Ac2aj – Bayville, NY
#047 – Sanbai – Baton Rouge, LA
#049 – Vanc0051 – Minneapolis, MN
#061 – fmasa – Osaka Japan
#074 – Roragi – Madrid, Spain
#075 – Tamiji Homma – California, USA
#080 – Dave Bush – Parker, CO
#084 – Daryel Stager – Spring Valley, CA
#086 – Starvagabond – Verona, Italy
#118 – Stef – Suffolk, UK
#119 – TomDey – Springwater, NY
#151 – Esso2112 – Magnolia, TX
#165 – Jeff Struve – Iowa, USA
#179 – Ares53405 – Racine County, WI
#183 – Peter A. – Simi Valley, CA
#187 – AstrOceanOmy – Sultanate of Oman

#198 – Tamiji Homma – California, USA (yes, a second one!)
#222 – Stewc14 – Pueblo West, CO

Seek him out and ask him to join SGL and share his thoughts on this new eyepiece.

Edited by Louis D