SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tele Vue Apollo 11 Special Edition Eyepiece

4 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The OVL Nirvana 82 degree eyepieces (4, 7, 16mm) would work really well in a 200p and would work nearly as well as Naglers.

Thanks John, being 82 degree would these be 2"? I am really curious now to see what the view is like with a quality eye piece. 🙂

10 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The OVL Nirvana 82 degree eyepieces (4, 7, 16mm) would work really well in a 200p and would work nearly as well as Naglers.

Having owned and compared Naglers and the Nirvanas I can confirm that they are pretty close in performance. The 28mm is a 2 inch eyepiece but the 4, 7 and 16 are 1.25 inch as John says.

Pity that there are not more in the range.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the Apollo 11, I've seen reports of purchases on the Cloudynights forum but few reports on how they perform. Some have bought them as collectors items and won't be using them. Seems rather sad to me :sad:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John said:

On the Apollo 11, I've seen reports of purchases on the Cloudynights forum but few reports on how they perform. Some have bought them as collectors items and won't be using them. Seems rather sad to me :sad:

I agree! 

• Like 2

Yeah, had a pair for my binoviewers. Not enough eye relief for my taste, so chucked them in an empty burger king bag somewhere in the back of my van. I can hear them clink together when sailing over roundabouts, should probably stick them in the glove box instead.

Said no one ever... :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

The only Apollo 11 reports I've seen are in this CN thread.  You have to search through it to find much of anything tangible.  Overall, it seems to be a fine eyepiece as it should be given its price.

Edited by Louis D
Fixed link
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Pensack said:

I don't doubt it's brilliant, and truth be told, it won't be a money maker for TV considering the time spent engineering and getting this jewel out there. For most of us commonfolk, photos only. Not very exciting is it?

(I've officially reached middle age with a twist of bitter) lol

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

Thanks Don. Those reviews were posted since I last looked at that thread.

I wish someone would give me one of these eyepieces, as I'd sell it and put the money towards something useful, such as driving up to NE Scotland and going on a Burger King crawl with Ships and Stars. Or perhapse even buy a Tak turret and some other nice goodies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I wish someone would give me one of these eyepieces, as I'd sell it and put the money towards something useful, such as driving up to NE Scotland and going on a Burger King crawl with Ships and Stars. Or perhapse even buy a Tak turret and some other nice goodies.

Sounds like you think the Apollo 11 is a bit of a waste of space Mike ?

• Haha 2

I think any eyepiece thats been designed by Paul Dellechiaie and the Tele-vue team is going to be something special, and i'm absolutely sure this certainly is.

To me though, its double the cost of what i'd personally want to pay for an eyepiece. I couldn't justify it.

And what if they then bring out an Apollo  13....? Co-signed by Al Nagler and Tom Hanks ! 😀

I don't think they are though.....its 50th anniversary launch is exactly one month away and i've not heard anything.

Talking of eyepieces, there is one very special eyepiece i've longed to try out, and am currently saving up for.....?

Can you guess what it might be........?? 😉

Edited by Space Hopper
  • Like 1

It would be in my case John. TV nolonger holds much in the way of magic for me these days. On axis performance is much more appealing than width of field for me. Now if Carle Zeiss had made it, I'd understand the extreme cost and would be very interested. One day perhaps! 

• Thanks 1

I just don't use 11mm focal length eyepieces - I can only recall owning one in fact and that was the 11mm TV Plossl. I already have the 10mm Pentax XW and the 13mm and 8mm Ethos which will get me by so no Apollo 11 eyepiece for me.

I did get a couple of Apollo 11 T-Shirts at Kennedy Space Center last week though and the new Apollo 11 DVD for my birthday a couple of weeks back. Don't need any more Apollo 11 memorabilia just now :grin:

Might be nice to have this in the living room for a while though - Apollo 14 capsule at KSC :smiley:

P1090543.JPG.b12f2f8c7ce7355a83c22e691f5bae40.JPG

• Like 5

Though it's excellent, I'll never get my investment back.  Only my heirs will appreciate it, perhaps.

But in the meantime, I have something that brings back a lot of memories and yields pretty darn good images in my scope in a form I can use my glasses with.

I compared it to the 12.5 Morpheus, 10 Ethos and a couple of others.  If you don't need glasses at that focal length, my advice is for the 10 Ethos.

And if you don't need the large field, the 10 Delos.  There just aren't any long eye relief ultrawide 10-11mm focal length eyepieces that can bring back memories like this one does.

It's ridiculously expensive, and, in a few years, you may be able to buy a used one for less.

• Like 3

The total price I paid for my binoviewer, x4 Orthos, Morpheus 17.5 mm, x2 Ultima  barlow, Baader Mk111 zoom, Baader 24 mm Hyperion and SW120ED all added together is less than the price of this 'special edition'.   Guess which I'll be taking to Kelling in October?  :)

• Like 3

TV discontinued their 11 T6 some time ago, apparently because of this ep release. Because I did not buy one when they were current I substituted an ES 82° 11mm instead. Had I known...

6 hours ago, Nakedgun said:

TV discontinued their 11 T6 some time ago, apparently because of this ep release. Because I did not buy one when they were current I substituted an ES 82° 11mm instead. Had I known...

The 11mm is the only T6 Nagler that I have not owned or used oddly.