sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Basically because you're so undersampled with the camera, it causes the pixels to become very blocky. Drizzling sorts this and smooths the final product. 

If you don't want to drizzle everytime I would use a 2-3x barlow lens to correct the sampling, since the camera uses large pixels

What does the after product look like also?

Edited by matt_baker
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, matt_baker said:

Basically because you're so undersampled with the camera, it causes the pixels to become very blocky. Drizzling sorts this and smooths the final product. 

If you don't want to drizzle everytime I would use a 2-3x barlow lens to correct the sampling, since the camera uses large pixels

What does the after product look like also?

image.png.c3e9404d46c25e3ed4cf8da2a1615f58.png

I use 2xBarlow for this image.

2 minutes ago, matt_baker said:

You did? Maybe you need an even larger magnification then to correct the sampling.

Also I meant the after result of the Lunar picture aha but it's okay

Okay, thank you for your help

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By UkSpacenut
      Hey everyone. Have previously stumbled across this forum when searching for answers to questions, have finally made an account. 
      Last night I shot the moon for a couple of hours. I took around 10x3 minute videos and captured a little over 80,000 frames. My aim was to then create a lunar mosaic image but I have never done this before, and my technical ability seems to be adding to the confusion. 
      So to give some context, I used an ASI120MCS planetary camera through an 8" Skywatcher Skyliner 200p dobsonian. 
      I have read that ideally you would use a tracking mount to record sections of the moon at a time, however I sadly don't have that luxury. 
      I instead let the moon drift across the field of view and I'm pretty confident that among the 80,000 frames I have all the pieces of the moon as a whole. 

What I'm now having issues with is how to break down these Avi files into frames which then can be used to create a mosaic. I need a "for dummies" guide ae thats what I'm feeling like currently. 

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide. :)
    • By SamK
      After many hours of fiddling round with Registax wavelet settings to process my own solar system images, I've always been curious as to how it actually works. In doing so I've put together my own image sharpening program which does something similar to Registax wavelets. For comparison, I've also added some general purpose deconvolution techniques which you'll probably be familiar with from other image processing software (like Wiener inverse filtering, Richardson-Lucy, etc). In choosing a point spread function to deconvolve with, one suprising result was that the typical stack outputs from Autostakkert work best with a Lorentz point spread function (with a minor modification). Deconvolving with a Gaussian point spread function doesn't really work. Deep-sky images seem to deconvolve best with a Moffat point spread function (which is to be expected - it's already well established that star profiles in long exposures are best approximated with a Moffat function).
      On the whole, it's unlikely that you can sharpen solar system images much more in this program than you already can in Registax. You can see results from Registax wavelet (sharpening layers), inverse filtering (e.g. Wiener), and iterative deconvolution (e.g. Landweber) below. They all give very similar results. In all the techniques there's a similar trade-off between less noise but less detail vs more noise but more detail.
      There are some quick start notes on the first page of the Readme here:
      https://github.com/50000Quaoar/Deconvolvulator/blob/main/Readme.pdf
      There are some examples of deconvolved images here (move mouse over image to see before/after):
      https://50000quaoar.github.io/Deconvolvulator/
      Image credits are on the hyperlinks
      The Windows download is here:
      https://github.com/50000Quaoar/Deconvolvulator/raw/main/Deconvolvulator32.zip
      Example solar system tifs to experiment with are here:
      https://github.com/50000Quaoar/Deconvolvulator/tree/main/image%20examples
      And the project page is here (with Source code in the src folder)
      https://github.com/50000Quaoar/Deconvolvulator
      If anyone finds it useful, do post here how it compares to other tools you use for solar system image sharpening.
      The download and the source code are free, you can use it unrestricted for any purpose. The OpenCV and OpenCVCSharp components which my program use have licence information at the end of the Readme.pdf.
      Sam

• By Anonymous Astronomer
      Hello everyone!
      These are my first DSO photos. Also, this is the second time I've used Adobe Photoshop.😁 
      My purpose for this thread is to share with you my first try and to gather constructive feedback, to help me improve my skills (use of equipment, stacking, image processing, etc.)

M31 - Andromeda Galaxy
      Imaging telescope: William Optics Zenithstar 61
      Imaging camera: Canon 450D
      Mount: ES EXOS-2 PMC8 (unguided)
      Field Flattener: William Optics ZS61 A
      Software: DSS, Siril and Adobe Photoshop
      Lights: 75 x 60s ISO 800
      Darks: 15
      Flats: 20
      Bias: 20
      Andromeda 07.11.20.tif

M45 - Pleiades
      Imaging telescope: William Optics Zenithstar 61
      Imaging camera: Canon 450D
      Mount: ES EXOS-2 PMC8 (unguided)
      Field Flattener: William Optics ZS61 A
      Software: DSS, Siril and Adobe Photoshop
      Lights: 60 x 60s ISO 800
      Darks: 15
      Flats: 20
      Bias: 20
      Pleiades 07.11.20.tif

I appreciate any kind of feedback!

Thank you,
      Vlad
    • By EMG
      Recently I bought a ZWO ASI178MM for planetary/lunar/deep-sky imaging and last weekend i had clear skies so I was able to capture videos of the moon in two panels. I have already processed the videos in AutoStakkert, I used 3x drizzle because I intend to print the image so now I have two 120MB TIFF images that i would like to combine in a two panel mosaic. I tried doing it in Hugin, a free panorama stitcher but the program crashes due to the file sizes being too large. I have searched for tutorials on using DynamicAlignment in PixInsight but it seems to me that i'll need a reference image to be able to create mosaics in PixInsight. Is there any way to go about this, I feel like this should be a pretty straightforward job but I am not very experienced in PI so I would really appreciate some advice.

I tried using DynamicAlignment as you can see in the attached screenshot but the result was just a cut version of the target image, aligned perfectly to the source image. It would be perfect if it didn't cut off the lower part of the target image.

• By ntaylorblanchard
      I think I need help with my Photoshop settings.   I've been processing my photos and been very unhappy/depressed with the results.  I then realized that they looked a lot better on my phone than on my PC screen.  I  did some testing and I discovered that Photoshop (CS4 -  both 32bit and 64bit) and the basic Windows viewer [the two things I've been using all this time to look at my images] are displaying poorer quality views of  my images than other viewers or programs.  (see attached images)  I think I just noticed this because I just got a CMOS OSC camera and was expecting a lot better than it seemed I was getting.
      Do I have something set wrong in Photoshop?  I really don't want to spend the money to get Pixinsight just right now (and the time to learn it) but I need to be able to see what the image really looks like while I'm processing it.
      At first I thought the problem was with my monitor, but since I do see the correct image with some programs I've concluded that the issue must be with Photoshop itself.  However, I have no idea at all how to fix it.
      I've uploaded two views of an early processing stage of an Andromeda photograph.

This one shows the image as seen in Gimp, Irfan View, Windows Paint, on-line, the new Windows "Photos" or on other laptops, phones, etc.

This one shows the image as seen in Photoshop or in the Windows Photo Viewer or Photo Gallery on my PC.  (I used screen capture to get this but it is accurate for what I see).
      As you can see above, the image I'm seeing in Photoshop has problems.  The main problem I notice is that the gradients of color do not flow smoothly but are concentric areas of flat color.  No depth or subtlety.
      Can this be fixed and if so what do I need to adjust in Photoshop or my PC?  I'm using Photoshop CS4 and this effect shows up in both the 32bit and 64 bit versions.
      Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks and Clear Skies Everyone
      Taylor Blanchard

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.