Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is that a sun spot?!

astro_al

Thought my laptop screen was dirty at first... Been checking online every day since I got my Herschel wedge and it is the first time I have seen anything much other than a white disk.

spacer.png

Edited by astro_al
Linked to fixed image
  • Like 4

Now that would be nice! Forecast for here tomorrow morning is rain then partly sunny but I won't get my hopes up too much :)

I saw the two white areas Friday lunchtime so I guess these developed into the spots. I am still not sure if these are plages or faculae or is that the same thing but the terminology is just different between Ha and white light?

Al

Edited by astro_al

A short session to have a peek. Conditions are poor but I can clearly see two sun spots with a line of three pores off to the side like Orion's Belt. ~65x in the FOA-60Q with the TV 20mm Plössls and binoviewer was the limit for the current seeing. I have also added the 0.6ND filter to the 3.0ND and SC filters to bring the brightness down. Back out later if the weather picks up but the wind speed is on the increase here at the moment.

• Like 1

Managed a few quick sessions here. Scope is still out, but under a cover as there are occasional showers coming through. Saw the same that you did Al, seeing is pretty atrocious but nice to see something at least.

20200308_112529.jpg

PSX_20200308_090745.jpg

20200308_082851.jpg

20200308_115203.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, astro_al said:

@Stu which GPC are you using in the setup with the binoviewer? Seriously thinking about an FC-100.

Al

I've got the x1.7 in there today, but also with an AP Barcon. The eyepieces are 25mm Zeiss orthos, actually converted microscope eyepieces which are excellent. I do also use a x2.6 if the seeing is good or excellent, but more normally use the 1.7 along with extension tubes to get me up somewhere around x200.

I viewed the Sun yesterday with my PST and did not notice the sunspot. After reading this thread last night I decided to view this morning in white light using my Skywatcher 150P Newt + 13mm Ethos and the 10mm Celestron DUO.

Well there it is AR2758 - its small but at least we have some activity.

I will try later with the PST + DS to see if I can observe any plage.

• Like 1

The clouds briefly parted so I managed a brief look in WL. It’s quite an interesting spot. It appears to be a group of smaller spots in a circular formation. The centre is definitely brighter. Many thanks for the heads up @astro_al. I would certainly have missed this otherwise.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up @astro_al, like Stu, I managed to get a look at it yesterday in between throwing a cover over the scope and making a mad dash into the greenhouse to escape the heavy showers.

From checking The Sun Now app on my phone, I can see that its evolved into a tight circle of spots, but no chance to view today as I'm back at work.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up, from looking at my Solar Notebook, I can see that the last time I did any solar observing prior to yesterday was the middle of January!!

Ade

• Like 1