SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Split screen ZWO120MM - alternative?

tooth_dr

Here is what my 120 usb2 does frequently. I don’t think it’s fixable, so considering a new guidecam.

I would like it to work as an OAG as well as finderscope guider.

Any suggestions?  I have a colour ZWO 178, would it be any use? I was planning on using it as an all sky camera, so probably just be better getting a good guide cam.

I image at 500mm and 1200mm with a KAF-8300 5.4um pixels, sampling at 2.2 and 0.9”/px respectively.

5ABF8A2A-94F2-42EB-AF8A-96A2469E98FD.thumb.jpeg.b77f0e3da53c0dfaa0e836af9d917c4f.jpeg

• Like 1

My 120 mm (old usb2 type) does that pretty frequently, no reason just randomly ! Very annoying, I've started using my 224mc which seems to be ok.

The ZWO 120 mm mini is supposed to be a good choice if you're looking at replacement.

Noticed you're on Win 7, I'm on Win 10 so it's not OS dependant .

Edited by knobby
Spelling
  • Like 1

It’s the same as knobbys usb2 version. It’s not ancient, just bought before the new mini one came out.

@Skipper Billy it’s a straight USB cable to the pc not near any power cables, nor through a usb hub.  I updated the firmware today and same result of split screen.

It’s probably my pc.  But it’s starting to drop frames - phd will say after say 17 seconds that it hadn’t captured an image, but then it’ll automatically start capturing again.  I’ll give the 178 I have a whirl since it’s here currently unused.  After that I don’t know.

9 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

I've never used a colour camera as a guider before. Normally they are monochrome due to the increased sensitivity. You could try it out.

I’ll try it out. The mono usually has many many stars to choose from so hopefully colour will work ok. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, david_taurus83 said:

@tooth_dr Is this my old one Adam? I returned one to FLO and was sent back a tested replacement. My issue was it worked fine with W7 on a USB2 laptop but I got the split screen issues when I got a new W10 USB3 laptop.

Thanks David, no I sold your old one a while ago, when I discovered that I couldn't used both on the same PC at the same time. 

On 10/03/2020 at 20:54, ArmyAirForce said:

I've had this before and it seems to be to do with both USB traffic speed and cable quality/dirty contacts.

Thanks AAF.  I've USB set to 40 - lowest it will go.  I've also tried it at a few variations.  I've give the contacts a clean later, nothing to lose.

1 hour ago, james_screech said:

I get the same problem sometimes when I first start PHD / ASI120MM if I leave it running for a minute or two it usually sorts it's self out.

James

Thanks James.  I've reverted to the 178MC over the past two nights.  It's working ok on the finder guide scope, but I suspect it isn't quite as sensitive as the 120MM.  I will try it as a OAG, binned 2x2, and see if it works ok.  It has small pixels 2.4um so even binned will still be under 5um pixels.