Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Astro Fi 6 SCT OTA weighs 3.3 kgs

There is something odd about Celestron C6 OTA weights: Celestron seems incapable of giving a correct value in its documentation. The original specs state 4.54 kilograms, which seems improbable compared to the weight of the C8. The Astro Fi version is however stated as weighing only 2.17 kgs, which is so glaringly wrong its hard to see how Celestron can't see that. Reviewers have claimed 3.7 kgs for the non-Fi version at least (including diagonal and eyepiece for some reason):

http://www.scopereviews.com/page1aa.html

My Astro Fi Ota arrived today, and my AZ-GTi only has a capacity of 5 kgs, so the first thing I did was put it on my bathroom scale. The scope had its visual back, dovetail rail, RDF, but no diagonal, eyepiece or dust cover. I weighed it twice to make sure, the first time just weighing the OTA and the scond time I held it and subtracted my weight. Both times I got 3.3 kgs.

Edited by Ags

Yes, the weight of the C6 OTA will vary depending on what exactly is attached to it. This should not matter unless somebody is trying to create the lightest possible assembly.  I am a little unconvinced with Celestron's efforts to bundle the C6 with the Astro Fi mounts.

So far as I can see from your post, the  C6 OTA weights around the same as my 127mm Mak (but is physically bigger) and the Astro Fi mount and tripod look mechanically similar to my  SLT mount and tripod.  My stuff works, but I have never been impressed with the stability - the tripod is too wobbly.

The C6 OTA also can be bought bundled with the much more expensive AVX (£1511) and Evo mounts (£1346). I rest my case.

The C6 works well enough on my AZ GTi and Berlebach tripod. About 1 second for vibrations to damp. My concern for the weight was of course because the AZ GTi has a max payload of 5 kgs.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...