Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Etx 90 Dec clamp?

Just a quick question for anyone in the know, 

On the Meade etx 90 Dec clamp should there be a rubber ring to help with friction when clamping down the Dec knob??

If there should be one then I obviously have somehow lost mine as even when I clamp the Dec knob all the way down I can still move the scope up and down so it can't be getting enough friction.

Cheers

Maybe you can attach a picture, to be sure?

If you mean the dovetail on the scope and the dovetail clamp on the mount, then no, there should NOT be any rubber things in between.
The clamp should grab the dovetail in a solid way, without any possible movement.

27 minutes ago, Waldemar said:

Maybe you can attach a picture, to be sure?

If you mean the dovetail on the scope and the dovetail clamp on the mount, then no, there should NOT be any rubber things in between.
The clamp should grab the dovetail in a solid way, without any possible movement.

Its hard to show as I would have to remove the scope and undo the Dec clamp. Basically there is a clamp on the side that has to be done up so the motors can engage but as this is just a friction lock it isn't very strong, I've seen one post with a picture showing a runner spacer to help with grip but I'm not sure if they added this or if it's stock.

Mine does not have one and the plastic and metal gear won't have much friction.

So you mean the clutch system... If the balance is near perfect the chance of a slipping clutch is minimal, but if a rubber ring or any other material will give you more grip, that should be ok.

Edit: 
Don't forget the slippage serves a purpose: it protects the motors against burning because of imbalance

Edited by Waldemar

Yeah, couldn't remember what it was called.

I use the scope as is tbh without balancing didn't think it would make a difference unless I ran it with a camera.

I only asked as I noticed it wouldn't lift the scope yesterday it would get half way and stop but the gears were still moving so thought maybe there wasn't enough friction on the clutch.

26 minutes ago, Waldemar said:

Balancing is very critical, not only for imaging, also for visual, albeit less. 
So... to prevent your mount from giving up on you, please pay attention to the balance!!

I just assumed it wasn't as important on fork mounts as stole can't be moved forward or backwards like a scope on a GEM mount. 

I will try and pay attention next time I take the scope out.

3 hours ago, Lordspace said:

This is the clamp, but the gear and plastic gets pushed together when doing up the Dec setting circle but I'm not sure if it is meant to have a rubber ring to help with friction. 

unnamed.jpg

Can you turn the part left over & take another picture, got a feeling a metal part has sheared! 

Here are pictures of mine 1st clamping pin removed 2nd & 3rd with it in place. 

Peter 

IMG_20200304_193118.thumb.jpg.d5400c7fa379f85fdcfd943ba37b70ff.jpg

IMG_20200304_193342.thumb.jpg.6d6edcbe395825e8c5889ffa2ecccbda.jpg

IMG_20200304_193642.thumb.jpg.b3d7ec24ae3f421f3abce137e2f29c4b.jpg

Edited by whipdry
Missing picture

1 hour ago, Waldemar said:

I made my own with a bit of old wood and an old metal tripod top, as astronomy manufacturers like to try and rip us off. No way is a couple of weight and a bit of metal worth £200.

They must think we are crazy.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lordspace said:

I made my own with a bit of old wood and an old metal tripod top, as astronomy manufacturers like to try and rip us off. No way is a couple of weight and a bit of metal worth £200.

They must think we are crazy.

I totally agree... this was just meant to be an example. Many ways to DIY

On the other hand the turnover on this kind of stuff is low, so the prices need to be high in order to get out of initial costs.

Edited by Waldemar