SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from the USA

cupton

Just wanted to say "Hello" from the USA. I've browsed for a while on these forums but never participated till now. You all are very knowledgeable and have some fun conversations. I have similar experiences with the gang over at CloudyNights (am I allowed to mention them here?  ;) ), so I am looking forward to learning more from you all here at Stargazers Lounge.

• Like 6

Apparently I cant add a signature yet until I reach 5 posts so we will count this one towards that quota. Currently own a couple of modest scopes (equipment below) which work just fine for me. I'm quite content with the smaller scopes I have and am able to get them in and out the door with ease. Someday I wouldn't mind something with more aperture if my observing skills, location, habits and finances allowed it. Oh and the wife! ;)

Scopes: Orion Starmax 127 on AstroView EQ-3, Vixen ED80SF on Vixen Porta II Tall

Eyepieces: ES68 28mm, Orion Sirius Plossl's, 32mm, 25mm, 10mm, No-Name Plossl's in 15mm, 6.5mm, WO Swan 20mm, Vixen LV 8-24mm Zoom, Meade 4000 8-24mm (Japan) Zoom

Diagonals: Tak 1.25" Prism, ES 2" Dielectric

Accessories: Orion Shorty Plus Barlow, Set of Parks Planetary filters, Orion Moon filter 13%

Bino's: Vortex Diamondback 10x42 and 10x50 HD, Nikon Action 10x50 and 12x50

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cupton said:

I'm quite content with the smaller scopes I have and am able to get them in and out the door with ease.

For that reason, those scopes will always be your most fruitful and, most enjoyed scopes.

21 hours ago, cupton said:

Someday I wouldn't mind something with more aperture if my observing skills, location, habits and finances allowed it. Oh and the wife! ;)

I buy nearly all of my scopes, binos and eyepieces second-hand, so am rarely out any money if I look after it, which I do. Sometimes I get a real bargain, get to use it for awhile, then find it a new home if I decide someday I can live without a certain bit of gear.

Above all, I find with buying astronomy gear, it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission*

*Results may vary

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ships and Stars said:

I buy nearly all of my scopes, binos and eyepieces second-hand, so am rarely out any money if I look after it, which I do. Sometimes I get a real bargain, get to use it for awhile, then find it a new home if I decide someday I can live without a certain bit of gear.

Above all, I find with buying astronomy gear, it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission*

*Results may vary

My last two EP's and two diagonals have been second hand and they have been excellent purchases in like new condition. I wouldn't hesitate to keep purchasing second hand for items that I see at a great price and in good condition. That being said, I am going to lay low for a while. Begging for forgiveness still lands me in the dog house. Being in the dog house in the middle of winter in western Pennsylvania is not a good idea. ;)

• Haha 3