Narrowband

Eclipsing Binary Star WZ Cep

To have a change from HADS stars as it was clear yet again last night I thought I would try an eclipsing binary. This one was occurring at the right time.

It also gives me an excuse to try out the Minima software suggested by @coatesg 

342637070_WZCep-chart.jpg.fd8329d16fdc083b7da3ab6cf8edcbfe.jpg

The predited minimum was at 22.33 UT

Now off to play with Minima.

Dave

Edited by Dave Smith
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, andrew s said:

Nice again Dave. How do you decide the exposure v sampling rare? Just trail and error,aim for a specific SN ratio or another  method 

Regards Andrew 

Thanks Andrew.  Not quite trial and error. From the quoted magnitude of the star I guessed an exposure from previous experience and then in AstroImageJ tested a sample image to get a profile of the star mainly to check it is not near saturation. After that I just had it running continuously to get as many images as possible in the time.

Dave

Edited by Dave Smith
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice one - would be interested to see the differences in ToM that minima27 gives compared to Peranso! 

(I'm happy to share the data with the flat bottomed eclipse if you'd like to try that too and see what it spits out). 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, coatesg said:

Nice one - would be interested to see the differences in ToM that minima27 gives compared to Peranso! 

(I'm happy to share the data with the flat bottomed eclipse if you'd like to try that too and see what it spits out). 

I tried minima2.7 on this data and it produced a result very close to the predicted value. I'm not sure that Peranso can deal with just one set of results, I will check. So far I have only used it when I have data from different occasions to make a phase diagram and then an accurate period. I will have a play and see what is possible.  I would be very happy to share data if it works. 

Dave

• Like 1