SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Venus in UV from the 2nd & 3rd March

Pete Presland

Venus in variable conditions from the 02 & 03.03.2020. 

Captured with Celestron C9.25, baader UV filter and Asi 290mm camera.

Stacked 10% of 25,000 frames.  Nice not to have the scope blown as much tonight, or have to shelter under my old fishing umbrella 🙂 

Top image is from the 2nd, some nice detail, the bottom is a little disappointing from today. The seeing looked a bit better than the end result.

132822920_2020_03_0217.05UVfilter.png.0d222a9bd196aa0c8438a0c6bcd53939.png 

428658756_2020_03_0317.59UVfilter.png.6132b6ecfe11237defe4b7c81ab125e0.png

• Like 15

33 minutes ago, morimarty said:

Some very nice fine cloud detail Pete, especially in the image from the 2nd. The image from the 3rd isn't to bad either. I know the umbrella experiance only to well😀

I must have looked a sight, crouched under a huge brolly seething at the weather 🙂

22 hours ago, Ags said:

I've learned something - I didn't know you could do UV with an SCT because of the corrector plate absorbing the UV. How many milliseconds were the subs?

I read a lot about coatings and the loss of the UV signal. It seems that some of the signal is lost maybe, compared to a Newtonian telescope. Certainly plenty of detail visible when the seeing is ok though.

• Like 1

I guess if getting a sharp blue channel is hard enough, getting a sharp UV image must be tricky... Did you see my earlier question about sub length? Also I am guessing this is shot at native F10?

Edited by Ags

15 hours ago, Ags said:

I guess if getting a sharp blue channel is hard enough, getting a sharp UV image must be tricky... Did you see my earlier question about sub length? Also I am guessing this is shot at native F10?

Whoops sorry Agnes, when I get home I will copy some of the capture file log and post it on here.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ags said:

It wasn't at F10, i was using a X1.8 Barlow. Probably nearer F20 and a bit over-sampled. Focus is very tricky, even in decent seeing conditions.

ROI=640x480
FPS (avg.)=64
Shutter=15.52ms
Gain=350
Gamma=50
Histogramm=75%
Limit=25000 Frames

• Like 2