Narrowband

Sightseeing in Mare Ibrium

lenscap

Noticing an unexpectedly clear(ish) sky on Monday evening (2nd March) I put the 200p out for a look at  Mare Ibrium . This is a favourite spot - so much to see in a small area, and well placed on the terminator.

The Alpine mountains were casting long, jagged shadows, giving a strong 3D impression, like a row of Gothic Cathedrals.

Using the 8-24 zoom the Alpine Valley looked straight-edged, almost artificial. With the TMB 4mm (X250), it was more irregular & I could see longitudinal strakes parallel to the edges. The view was so sharp that I Barlowed the TMB to X500. The scene was softer, but still viewable, must have been good seeing. I think X400 was probably optimal for the conditions - I must get a 2.5mm eyepiece or perhaps a 5mm to Barlow.

Lonely & isolated, Mount Piton was casting a long needle-like shadow, like a giant sundial.

The longer you look down on  the Apennines the more & more texture you can see - a wonderful sight.

Looking straight down on the perfectly circular Archimedes crater it looks like a bird's-eye view of a giant sports stadium, with the afternoon shadows encroaching on the pitch.

When lunar tourism arrives this area would be a fantastic place to visit. Climb the Appenines in 1/6 Gravity. "Snowboard" down the lunar dust in the Alpine Valley.

When the clouds part point your scope at the sky & let your imagination soar! 🙂

Edited by lenscap
typo
  • Like 4