Second hand Telescope selling price advice Celestron Astromaster LT76

Since they're $120 with free shipping new in the US from Amazon, I'd guess you'd be doing good to get $65 to $75 used for one.  The problem you'll run into is that the folks who buy beginner scopes such as this one don't tend to buy used.  If this were a $1200 triplet APO, you could easily get $800 to $900 used for it because experienced observers are more comfortable buying high end, used gear at a premium used price if in excellent condition.

9 hours ago, Louis D said:

Since they're $120 with free shipping new in the US from Amazon, I'd guess you'd be doing good to get $65 to $75 used for one.  The problem you'll run into is that the folks who buy beginner scopes such as this one don't tend to buy used.  If this were a $1200 triplet APO, you could easily get $800 to $900 used for it because experienced observers are more comfortable buying high end, used gear at a premium used price if in excellent condition.

I think less 50 to 60 max

As guy above says these entry scope stay on the market for a long time.

Even decent stuff sometimes takes awhile or have to go half price 

It's the high stuff like tele vue eps that I see go with a few hours to a day or 2

joejaguar 

Edited by joe aguiar

2 hours ago, joe aguiar said:

I think less 50 to 60 max

As guy above says these entry scope stay on the market for a long time.

Even decent stuff sometimes takes awhile or have to go half price 

It's the high stuff like tele vue eps that I see go with a few hours to a day or 2

joejaguar 

I'm sure that's the case, but I was trying to give the person some hope of recovering a bit of their investment.  I literally couldn't find a single example of this scope being sold recently on ebay in the US.  There was an EQ version which did sell, but no AZ versions.  Really, it's the market that dictates what something is worth.  I see lots of folks trying to sell starter scopes all over Craigslist for close to what they paid for them.  Meade ETX scopes and Celestron SCTs from the distant past tend to be the most overpriced.

Ya I see that too on some sites but I also have seen some of those adds for many months. Some cases 6 months and more and they keep having the same full ask. I consider them not real sellers and just hope somone not knowing buys it.

I just bought a full set of meade 5000 HD 60 degree ep set. I think 5 eps

Sent him a money order on Monday I'm thinking he send it off Thursday and I'll get it next week. I played 250 shipped so 230 for the set.

Each one sells for $119x tax =135  or the whole set about $660 with tax

So what I paid is about 35% of the full price and it's in very good condition. I guess in UK 230 is about $140uk I'm guessing? For the 5 PC set

Joejaguar 

Edited by joe aguiar

You might be disappointed by the ultimate selling price, especially if you hope to avoid the bother of postage and packing. I suggest you write it off and put it in storage. Sooner or later you may want to rob some part off it that you might otherwise be paying good money for: a slow motion control, a finder, a weight...

• Like 1

As I tried to imply in my original post, there isn't much of a used market for introductory scopes and eyepieces.  It's similar to binoculars and P&S cameras.  Most people who buy used are looking to upgrade to items that they can't afford to buy new.  Perhaps you could find a relative with a child interested in astronomy and gift it to them?

• Like 1