Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Deep Sky Stacker Only Using 1 Frame

Hi all,

I tried imaging the horsehead nebula yesterday as a bit of a target of opportunity for learning.

I have been trying to stack the images with the darks, flats and bias frames I also took at the time but when I do so it tells me it will only be using one frame to stack.

If I do the same thing without any calibration frames it seems to work ok.

Am i using too many calibration frames? 

For reference I have:

- 12 Light frames (detected c.200+ stars when registering but had to set threshold to 3% because of street and moon light pollution) @ 2 min exposures, ISO 800.

- 10 Dark frames at same exposure/ISO etc

- 8 Flat frames at same exposure/ISO etc

- The potential of 17 bias frames (only using 8 at my cameras quickest shutter speed.

Why would DSS tell me it can only use 1 light frame to stack when I use those calibration frames but be fine when I dont?

Any help appreciated as not experienced that before.

Thanks

Lance

Your flat frames are not expected to be same exposure length as the lights.

So few calibration files could be adding more noise then taking away. Really want to run those into the 20+  and not sub 10.

Edited by happy-kat

Hi Happy-kat,

The data I captured was trash for that target anyway but I also captured what I could of Andromeda yesterday too. 

Am I better trying to stack just the 16 light frames and none of the calibration frames I took? 

Would you recommend a certain ratio of each per light frame or just as many as all of them as possible in the time?

Hi, are you adjusting the threshold of amount of stars in the image? also I use the best 80% of frames to stack and sometimes I use the 50% as well, look at your list of frames and make sure they are all the same size and untick those frames that are not in order which I fould out can work, but other folk on here may know if the other settings will work?  I normally use stark labs stacking utility on some objects as well. ton