Altair Hypercam 294C PRO

PeterCPC

Im having my eye on one of those too!  Have pretty much the same question! 

Or, should one go for tec cooling? Ofcoarse. But doing only short subs 10-30 sec with hyperstar. Occasionally 60sec subs. Is it ok with that? 

Edited by Rocket Stars
sscchpellingg

10 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

Anyone using one of these? They seem very competitively priced. Is the lack of set point cooling a big issue. I was considering using one with my ED80.

Any feedback or comments welcome.

Peter

If you dont get the cooled version then you are going to be limited to 30s exposures, not impossible with the low read noise and High QE but the real pain will be calibration of the nasty amp glow that sensor has. 

I think that if I was going with a uncooled sensor then I would want something like the ASI533mc as that has some nice properties and no amp glow...unfortunately they have not yet released an uncooled version of that camera. 

In the end the answer is that you are much better off saving your pennies and waiting to get a cooled camera. 

Adam

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Adam J said:

If you dont get the cooled version then you are going to be limited to 30s exposures, not impossible with the low read noise and High QE but the real pain will be calibration of the nasty amp glow that sensor has. 

I think that if I was going with a uncooled sensor then I would want something like the ASI533mc as that has some nice properties and no amp glow...unfortunately they have not yet released an uncooled version of that camera. 

In the end the answer is that you are much better off saving your pennies and waiting to get a cooled camera. 

Adam

My thinking is that it is fan cooled. But no Tec cooling. Should help. But im leaning toward paying up for tec cooled cam. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Adam J said:

Adam

Thanks for your input. Interestingly I recently used my ASI385 without turning on the cooling and got 300 sec exposures with good results.

This image of the Crystal Ball Nebula was taken using 300s exposures without cooling.

Peter

Crystal_Ball_nebula_NGC1514A.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

Thanks for your input. Interestingly I recently used my ASI385 without turning on the cooling and got 300 sec exposures with good results.

This image of the Crystal Ball Nebula was taken using 300s exposures without cooling.

Peter

Crystal_Ball_nebula_NGC1514A.jpg

The 385 is a much cleaner chip than the 294 in terms of dark current. Low ambient temperatures help too.  

6 hours ago, Adam J said:

The 385 is a much cleaner chip than the 294 in terms of dark current. Low ambient temperatures help too.  

Can you clarify what you mean by "cleaner" please. Which of the other cameras would be considered cleaner? Altair tell me that the fan cooled cameras would lower the temperature by about 5 degrees but that it's mainly for maintaining the ambient temperatures. I have been a bit concerned with ZWO cameras since my 385 died when 10 months old - been sent back for repair.

Peter

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, PeterCPC said:

Can you clarify what you mean by "cleaner" please. Which of the other cameras would be considered cleaner? Altair tell me that the fan cooled cameras would lower the temperature by about 5 degrees but that it's mainly for maintaining the ambient temperatures. I have been a bit concerned with ZWO cameras since my 385 died when 10 months old - been sent back for repair.

Peter

Cleaner = 533 does not have a massive starburst amp glow pattern  like the 294 does. Also the dark current is significantly lower on the 533 in comparison to the 294. All the charts are on ZWOs web page.

• Thanks 1