Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Altair Astro Starbase Adpater plate for Vixen Sphinx SXW

DeepSkyMan

Hey there folks, hoping somebody in this thread will have some advice for me.  I have the opportunity to acquire an Altair Astro Starbase Tripod, which I intend to use with my SXW,  Thre is a slight problem with this plan, in that the Starbase was never ever equipped with an adpater plate for Vixen mounts.  The Starbase is however compatible with Skywatch mounts (HEQ5 etc...)  Just wondering if anybody here has had to get an adapter plate manufactured for their Vixen mount?  Would appreciate any feedback in this proposition, positive or negative .  For those not acquainted with the Starbase heres a link to a review on Cloudy Nights.

https://www.cloudyni...od-review-r2946

Kind Regards

Paul.

I think the HEQ5 is equivalent to the Vixen GP2, but I think the Vixen SXW has a azimuth pin on a different circumfence to the GP2?? (struggling to remember what my SXW looked like underneath!)

Calling @Stu to the thread!

If it has a 60mm aperture on the top, then it could be that all you'd need is a 60mm to 45mm reducer:

https://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=611&sprache=english

But there is the added complication of the azimuth pin positioning!

A (massively convoluted) way around that would be to get two 60-45mm reducer rings and one of the Vixen 45mm to 60mm adaptor plates which has a removable/movable azimuth pin - item 75169 here:

https://www.vixenoptics.co.uk/Pages/connection_specifications.html

Pete, what year did Vixen standardise on the 45mm central aperture.  Can’t remember whether my tripod was an SXG or the older HAL130.  My kit was purchased in 2012 I think,  if my memory serves my right 🙂

Paul.

I remember you provided an expanded design diagram for the declination clamp when I had issues with it a couple of years ago.  Something similar for the base of the mount would be ideal.

Kind Regards

Paul.

Pete, am I right in my understanding that the mount attachment rod for the SXG tripod uses an M8 thread?  Looks like after speaking to Altair Astro that I may have sourced an adapter plate that even though not designed for Vixen products may be fit for purpose

https://www.altairastro.com/skywatcher-celestron--ioptron-pier-adapter-cnc-442-p.asp

I still need to source an attachment rod/knob from somewhere though, any ideas?

Kind Regards

Paul.

The bolt is M10x1.5mm and the standard length is 55mm - the adaptor plate I mentioned has a much longer bolt.

If you already have a Vixen tripod for the SX, the bolt that's in the canopy can be removed. I have a couple of bolts from the old HAL130 tripod if you want another one - PM me your address and I'll post one to you.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pete_gamby said:

The bolt is M10x1.5mm and the standard length is 55mm - the adaptor plate I mentioned has a much longer bolt.

If you already have a Vixen tripod for the SX, the bolt that's in the canopy can be removed. I have a couple of bolts from the old HAL130 tripod if you want another one - PM me your address and I'll post one to you.

Cheers, Pete

Pete, that would be much appreciated.  Just PMd you.  

Paul.