Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My Canon 10x30is has drops of water inside!

I noticed a bit of "something" in the view the other day, but put it down to fluff and thought no more of it. But when I looked today, I noticed there are drops of water around the edge on the inside. Difficult for me to be sure, but I think they're on the inside of the eyepiece lens in one of the barrels. 

At 10yrs old, no way is it going to be financially sensible to send these off for repairs, but does anyone know how I could get inside to have a go myself?

Thanks

Tough to advise.....but a few suggestions -

Perhaps storing in dry dust free conditions with plenty of silica gel.  Make sure the silica gel is fully dry with gentle warmth for a few hours.

Are you certain they are water drops, are they liquid or dried spots, reflections, try viewing the problem at various angles and lighting conditions. Do the drops move around indicating they are liquid.

If it were me, I’ll be very cautious about attempting dismantling.  In spite of the age, maybe enquire about a professional repair if that does become necessary.

Perhaps post some close up pics ?

Hope you find a solution, Ed.

Thanks Ed - it doesn't actually spoil the view but I'd like to stop any long-term damage occurring if possible. 

Good idea about leaving it in some silica gel! 

The drops don't move as I adjust the dioptre (it's in that barrel).

Here's a photo taken from the objective lens end. 20200301_204847.thumb.jpg.a0a8e54de911094ce57c861b1335d990.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, carastro said:

If you know anyone with a dehumidifying might be worth putting them close to one for a while.

Carole 

I live near Appleby...plenty of people in town have dehumidifiers as part of daily life! Good idea. 

I should leave well alone other than trying to encourage the water to leave I think!

1 hour ago, osbourne one-nil said:

Thanks Ed - it doesn't actually spoil the view but I'd like to stop any long-term damage occurring if possible. 

Good idea about leaving it in some silica gel! 

The drops don't move as I adjust the dioptre (it's in that barrel).

Here's a photo taken from the objective lens end. 20200301_204847.thumb.jpg.a0a8e54de911094ce57c861b1335d990.jpg

That does look like water droplets unfortunately.   I’m thinking that the idea of a dehumidifier may help.   But how did the water get in there - one possibility is if they got very cold then were brought into a warm house internal condensation formed ?    If it got in there, maybe it can get out.......

Ed.

placing them in a sealed bag with silica gel sounds a reasonable suggestion and if you can suck the air out that may assist further, alternatively rice has been used to good effect when salvaging phones in the past too (not cooked tho ;) ). That way you're drawing moisture out in an environment that not additional moisture can enter. A dehumidifier should also work but may take time as it'll be trying to draw the moisture out of the room too.

At 10 years, possibly a seal is perishing a little or a shift in the mated components from thermal effects perhaps and its allowed ambient air to creep in and raised the humidity level a little inside the casing. No idea how water resistant these are given there's a battery so perhaps not sealed at all in that area?

It's not water...it looks like grease from the diopter lens has somehow gooed onto the top of the prism. I loosened the tiny screws around the eyepiece turret and placed the binoculars in an airtight box packed with silica gel sachets for 4 nights but after no change I decided to be brave and take a closer look. I've taken off what I can with isopropyl alcohol but it's so fiddly. I suppose after more than 10 years they don't owe me much but still a shame.