SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M81 and Cigar post processing issues

I think I have the data now just not the skills for post processing via Photoshop. My 4th image. I may have over streched the image a bit :) If anyone else can do any better then I can post the data.

Intermittant clouds.

Data 90 x 1 min Lum
30 x 2 min Red
30 x 2 min Green
30 x 2 min Blue

TS 107 Triplet 700mm with 0.79 Focal Reducer F5.13

Regards David

LRGB-2.jpg

Edited by Prolifics
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing the data which is very good.  This was processed in APP ( integration) and PI (background removal)then tweaked in PS.

I am certainly no expert but here is my attempt.

M81.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, almcl said:

Take any flats?

They would help with the vignetting.

Yes 50 flats for each Filter
60 darks

Had to take the flats again 2 weeks after which has caused some problems.

Edited by Prolifics

1 hour ago, wornish said:

Thanks for sharing the data which is very good.  This was processed in APP ( integration) and PI (background removal)then tweaked in PS.

I am certainly no expert but here is my attempt.

OMG thats amazing you can really see the detail even in the little galaxy in the north west of picture. So at least my stacking is fine :)

First thing I do in photshop is convert them all to 16 bit. LRGB

Then I level and curve adjust them all several times until I get better details.

Make a new layer and copy and paste the RGB data

Then I add the lum to the same layer.

Thats about as far as I got sometimes I play with saturation on the RGB too.

Kindest regards David

1 hour ago, wornish said:

6 hours ago, Prolifics said:

Yes 50 flats for each Filter
60 darks

Had to take the flats again 2 weeks after which has caused some problems.

Not sure of the cause but the flats don't seem to be correcting the vignetting.  Over-stretch below to demonstrate:

LRGB-2stretched.jpg.142e2038aa55b3c9a2ac55503eebf0d1.jpg

I had a look at your data and used Pixinsight and Photoshop to process the result (below). As you can see you've captured quite a lot of detail. 

On the vignetting issue this seems to be mainly in the RGB data, your Lum data is much flatter. I eliminated both with the use of Pixinsight's DBE function - you can do a similar function in PS but you will require the use of the plug-in Gradient Xterminator. 

I also noticed that your lum data is very slightly misaligned with the RGB data, so I realigned this to get better stellar profiles.

Alan

Final.thumb.jpg.fcc26df770b3acd877c50d8de36bf6db.jpg

1 hour ago, alan4908 said:

I had a look at your data and used Pixinsight and Photoshop to process the result (below). As you can see you've captured quite a lot of detail. 

On the vignetting issue this seems to be mainly in the RGB data, your Lum data is much flatter. I eliminated both with the use of Pixinsight's DBE function - you can do a similar function in PS but you will require the use of the plug-in Gradient Xterminator. 

I also noticed that your lum data is very slightly misaligned with the RGB data, so I realigned this to get better stellar profiles.

Alan

Final.thumb.jpg.fcc26df770b3acd877c50d8de36bf6db.jpg

Hi Alan thanks so much for doing that for me. It was the first time I used my scope with the focal reducer. I think stars are fairly round now. Use to be elongated near the edges. 

Like I said flats didn't come out right on the night was very tired from 4.5 hours of data :) I tried taking the flats 3 weeks later and I think the issue with the fluffy bits is the reason. Not sure about the RGB data.

Not sure why deep sky stacker does not align properly its like a little bit off any settings you recommend to fix that. I use one of the LUM lights best score for the Reference frame as i shot either side of the Meridian and I don't have a rotator installed.

Kindest regards David

Edited by Prolifics