Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How do you fix accessories plate to a vixen GP?

Fozzie

Hi all.. 

There's a couple of old vixen green mounting plates on ABS and fleeBay at the moment, I've tried googling but I can't see the answer..

Can any body tell me.. read show with idiot proof photos how these attach to the GP..

ta

Fozzie

Screenshot_20200229-124250_eBay.thumb.jpg.97e1bfc1c989bb76b61d735c6108ca8e.jpg

Screenshot_20200229-124237_eBay.thumb.jpg.6ff38bee80b1d86131b2c3adf9d604b8.jpg

20200229_124512.thumb.jpg.7b1da5777e6b74b56114c60c5472989e.jpg

Not totally sure Fozzie, but I think you remove the clamp by undoing the Allen bolts on the top and I guess that exposes where the plate attaches?

I am coveting your Vixen half pillar by the way, need one for my GP 🤣🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

According to the description here it should have a Vixen GP compatible dovetail on the underneath.

http://www.company7.com/vixen/mounts/mounthd.html

Description is near the bottom of the page.

Thanks Ade,  I'd read that, but the image doesn't suggest that is the case.. was thinking I could install this and add an ADM saddle... 

34 minutes ago, Stu said:

I am coveting your Vixen half pillar by the way, need one for my GP 🤣🤣

No joy in the search stu... i have to admit i was lucky to find one.. hence why I'm thinking about the mounting plate, how often do vixen green accessories come up..

Did they change at some point from the original Vixen setup which involved bolting the tube rings to the plate on the mount, to a dovetail arrangement?

It looks like this version would accept the plate by unbolting the four Allen bolts?

Screenshot_20200229-141654_Chrome.jpg

21 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Thanks Ade,  I'd read that, but the image doesn't suggest that is the case.. was thinking I could install this and add an ADM saddle... 

There is an ADM upgrade for the GP Fozzie, I fitted one to the GP-DX which Michael now has. Very nice it is too.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-replacement-saddles/adm_dual_saddle_gpdx.html

17 hours ago, Fozzie said:

I've re-read the descriptions and am pretty sure that there should be a dovetail underneath.

The GP plate says it is similar to the SX Plate but green, the SX plate immediately above says there is a dovetail and in the photo you can just see something through the slots in the plate.

The SX plate above that which was a later replacement again shows the underneath with dovetail attached.

Hope that helps.

Edited by AdeKing
Errant autocorrect
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fozzie said:

The plates on my OP don't appear to have a DT on them.. despite looking in really good condition.. shame, but it might not be the solution I was looking for..

No they don't but from the Company7 pages, I think they should have one attached using the two pairs of horizontally aligned holes at the right and left sides of the raised part of the plate.

The Company 7 pages seem to suggest the plate was for attaching non-standard tubes and rings.

Stu's ADM solution looks ideal and something I think I might use on my newly acquired GP.

The dovetail that was supplied with the later accessory plates is Vixen's part number 2662:

https://www.vixenoptics.com/Vixen-Universal-Slide-Bar-p/2662.htm

I assume it's silver plated rather than brushed aluminium because even for Vixen, $90 for a slide bar is lot of money 🙂

As AdeKing mentions above, it attaches to the 1/4" threaded holes arranged the central longest axis of the plate.

The old green plates had a different coloured dovetail - you can see the centre of it and how the bolts attach it in the Company 7 listing image - but the principle is the same.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

• Thanks 2