Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DEC fine adjustment on an EQ-2 mount

Potential dumb question again here now so bear with me. The R.A. fine adjustment knob/wheel offers complete freedom of movement, which of course allows me to track an object across the sky. However, the declination fine adjustment has (from memory) either 10 or 20 degrees of movement only, before that knob goes tight or just starts spinning loose. Is that correct and proper? I get that the R.A. adjustment needs to have that full range of movement, but just wanting confirmation that declination fine adjustment should be within a limited window before I've got to undo the lock knob and re-adjust.

11 minutes ago, soldave said:

Potential dumb question again here now so bear with me. The R.A. fine adjustment knob/wheel offers complete freedom of movement, which of course allows me to track an object across the sky. However, the declination fine adjustment has (from memory) either 10 or 20 degrees of movement only, before that knob goes tight or just starts spinning loose. Is that correct and proper? I get that the R.A. adjustment needs to have that full range of movement, but just wanting confirmation that declination fine adjustment should be within a limited window before I've got to undo the lock knob and re-adjust.

The DEC adjustment on the EQ1 and EQ2 is limited to about 15 degrees. If you need to make greater adjustments release the DEC locking screw and manually move the telescope in the DEC axis.

• Like 1

Just now, R26 oldtimer said:

If it is an Eq1 or eq2, then it has a small tangent arm to fine tune DEC, which has a limited travel of a few degrees

That sounds about right then. Looks like I have 30 degrees of movement in the declination plane. Maybe this video will help show.

1 minute ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The DEC adjustment on the EQ1 and EQ2 is limited to about 15 degrees. If you need to make greater adjustments release the DEC locking screw and manually move the telescope in the DEC axis.

Awesome. Thank you, and dumb question has been answered :)

Yes on a eq2 or 1 it has a spring inside the square part. U cant see it unless u look under

The eq3 and larger  mount font have that and can spin 360

joejaguar 

Edited by joe aguiar