Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

William Optics Star 71ii f4.9 for Solar Work with a Quark

Paul and Chrissy

Hi Everyone 

I want to get into Solar viewing and photography with a Daystar Quark. This seems to be the most economical way with the advantage of using a telescope that can also be used for Astro work as well. I am thinking of getting a William Optics Star 71ii f4.9. 350mm as it’s very portable. Has anyone used this combination that can give me an idea of how successful it would be. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I don’t want to make the wrong choice and waste a ton of wedge.(£) if there are better options.

cheers Paul

Star 71 is a bit short focal length for the Quark something over f/6 is more suited, you don't need anything flash for solar so might be worth considering a cheap refractor just for solar.

I do have a couple of Star71s but never tried one for solar with the Quark.

Dave

Hi Dave

I should have added. I do have a TAK TSA102 f8 that I would use at home. The Star 71 would be as a travelling wide field  scope. The Quark does have a powerful 4.3barlow built into it that would bring the focal length to about 1500mm with the WO. How do you find the Star 71s for Astro photography.

Cheers Paul

49 minutes ago, Paul and Chrissy said:

Hi Dave

I should have added. I do have a TAK TSA102 f8 that I would use at home. The Star 71 would be as a travelling wide field  scope. The Quark does have a powerful 4.3barlow built into it that would bring the focal length to about 1500mm with the WO. How do you find the Star 71s for Astro photography.

Cheers Paul

The Quark works best at around f6.5, regardless of the built-in Barlow. I used a Tak FS60C with my Quark quite successfully, good full disk views. F5.9 as far as I recall. Plenty of suitable focal ratio portable scopes around which would be better suited than the Star 71 so I would have a rethink.

• Like 1

If u looking for a dual scope the Coronado 70mm solarmax3 is a dual day and night refractor scope. 

Take out the front filter just unthread it and put a regular diagonal and there u go, can be used for night time

I think there stil very big sale on Coronado going on since Jan to end of Feb. 

I got the Coronado 90mm solarmax 3 and saved about almost $2000.

Joejaguar 

Edited by joe aguiar

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2020 at 16:45, Stu said:

The Quark works best at around f6.5, regardless of the built-in Barlow. I used a Tak FS60C with my Quark quite successfully, good full disk views. F5.9 as far as I recall. Plenty of suitable focal ratio portable scopes around which would be better suited than the Star 71 so I would have a rethink.

Hi Stu

Thought long and hard about your recommendations on going for a better f ratio. Plumped for the Grand Tourismo 71 f5.9. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction. I think this is going to work much better for me . A much more versatile scope for my needs. 👍

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Paul and Chrissy said:

Hi Stu

Thought long and hard about your recommendations on going for a better f ratio. Plumped for the Grand Tourismo 71 f5.9. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction. I think this is going to work much better for me . A much more versatile scope for my needs. 👍

Good stuff. That sounds like a better option, better focal ratio and will still get full disk at that focal length. Look forward to hearing how you get on 👍

• Like 1

On 27/02/2020 at 18:12, Paul and Chrissy said:

Hi Joejaguar

That was a hefty discount. Where did you get it from. The normal prices are really a bit out of my budget, but if someone is doing a good discount it could be a good option.

cheers Paul

Well I'm in Canada so got it from a Canadian dealer but he ordered it from Coronado tho. The sale is over tho now.

Joejaguar 

• 2 years later...

Thought I would revive this thread instead of starting a new one - is anyone using a Star71 for Solar? I have a used Quark that I want to pair with the Star71 that I have doing nothing. I know you need a dedicated diagonal to get focus for visual with thew 71 but am hoping I can use it for solar imaging to save me buying something else.

Any thoughts?

You don't necessarily need a diagonal, a lot of imaging is done via straight through setup with spacers, but you'll need a few. I've just read up on that scope, never seen an imaging only refractor which doesn't have provision for diagonal visual setup.