Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quark replacement incoming

Helen

I bought a Quark many years ago, had some fun initially, but then life got busy and it sat in the box.  Last year I decided to dust it off, but something drastic had happened and I couldn't see anything at all 😞  So it got sent back under warranty to Daystar.  I've now heard that instead of repairing they've just replaced it.  So a new one should arrive later in the week.  I wonder when I'll get to check it out - its snowing here 🥺

Helen

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Helen said:

I bought a Quark many years ago, had some fun initially, but then life got busy and it sat in the box.  Last year I decided to dust it off, but something drastic had happened and I couldn't see anything at all 😞  So it got sent back under warranty to Daystar.  I've now heard that instead of repairing they've just replaced it.  So a new one should arrive later in the week.  I wonder when I'll get to check it out - its snowing here 🥺

Helen

Hope it lasts Helen, been psyching myself up to return one that was supplied new as a replacement about a year ago which has developed the same problem not getting hardly any light through it and have to bump the Firecapture settings right up just to see a bit of surface detail and no prom's.

Had to purchase a second hand one to keep me going.

Dave

PS: Had trouble getting mine out of customs last time as they wanted to charge duty on it, had to pay it and reclaim it, took months to get my money back :cussing:

Edited by Davey-T

52 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Hope it lasts Helen, been psyching myself up to return one that was supplied new as a replacement about a year ago which has developed the same problem not getting hardly any light through it and have to bump the Firecapture settings right up just to see a bit of surface detail and no prom's.

Had to purchase a second hand one to keep me going.

Dave

PS: Had trouble getting mine out of customs last time as they wanted to charge duty on it, had to pay it and reclaim it, took months to get my money back :cussing:

Yes, I'm a mixture of excitement and trepidation... When I bought it originally Astrograph tested it beforehand.  Astrograph have handled the return (I've just paid outward shipping), so no customs dealings.  Astrograph say they ask for repair rather than replacement to try to ensure quality of view, but Daystar usually ignore that! This one hasn't been tested since return due to weather, so we don't know what it's starting quality is, or of course, how long it will last.  I think it may be possible to get a refund from Daystar if there are continuous quality problems.

Helen

1 minute ago, Peter Drew said:

I realised it was Daystar's advert,

Bit like the pic's on their Facebook site, shame they only publish the best ones from top performing Quarks, maybe a few more realistic ones from your average Quark would be better.

Dave

I have used only one Quark, it was a good one and gave impressive views albeit rather dim which needed covering the head for best results.  However, my current PST mod is equally impressive and has been reliably operational for a few years.    😀

• Like 1

My solarquest mount decided to die - I think it had a coming together with focus knob if my scope while aligning 😲

Azgti set up instead - and have a bright orange disk with a hint of prom in a 40m eyepiece and at Central tuning.  That's progress.  Just getting back a camera for more detailed testing and tweaking

Helen

PS Peter, I'd like to chat about checking/optimising my pay mod....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Helen said:

My solarquest mount decided to die - I think it had a coming together with focus knob if my scope while aligning 😲

Had a Solarquest mount that died suddenly. Turned out to be a cable had come loose inside. Just needed plugging back in. Anyway here’s what the inside of the mount looks like.

D0850063-16FA-4FD5-BE03-BC85B16714EC.jpeg

62FF527D-760E-4907-B02C-48A5F3182C69.jpeg

5A97307C-2837-47BF-8022-D5E9C6ED7253.jpeg

117106C5-CF09-4A6A-AEEF-A77733E2F9C6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Helen said:

Azgti set up instead - and have a bright orange disk with a hint of prom in a 40m eyepiece and at Central tuning.  That's progress.  Just getting back a camera for more detailed testing and tweaking

Helen

PS Peter, I'd like to chat about checking/optimising my pay mod....

I'm free!     😀