Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

OLDHAM OPTICAL CO. SCARBOROUGH

johnturley

Does anyone know what has happened to the above company based in Scarborough, I was recommended to them for honest testing, and if recommended refiguring the mirror of my 14in Newtonian.

I spoke to the owner Norman Oldham only last autumn, when I provisionally arranged with him to bring my mirror over for testing this spring, if refiguring was recommended I wanted it carried out in time for the favourable opposition of Mars this autumn. However when I rang their number yesterday (01723 375271) I got number unobtainable, and in addition their website appeared to have been taken down. I also sent an email, to which I have not received a reply.

If they are no longer in business does anyone know of someone else they can recommend, I far as I am aware, the only other company that carries out this type of work is Orion Optics UK, based in Newcastle under Lyne, but I have received mixed reports about them.

John Turley 

On 25/02/2020 at 06:21, johnturley said:

Does anyone know what has happened to the above company based in Scarborough, I was recommended to them for honest testing, and if recommended refiguring the mirror of my 14in Newtonian.

I spoke to the owner Norman Oldham only last autumn, when I provisionally arranged with him to bring my mirror over for testing this spring, if refiguring was recommended I wanted it carried out in time for the favourable opposition of Mars this autumn. However when I rang their number yesterday (01723 375271) I got number unobtainable, and in addition their website appeared to have been taken down. I also sent an email, to which I have not received a reply.

If they are no longer in business does anyone know of someone else they can recommend, I far as I am aware, the only other company that carries out this type of work is Orion Optics UK, based in Newcastle under Lyne, but I have received mixed reports about them.

John Turley 

Hi I had a mirror recoated by this company last year.

Try them.

Mick.

https://www.galvoptics.co.uk/optical-services/

1 minute ago, astro mick said:

Hi I had a mirror recoated by this company last year.

Try them.

Mick.

https://www.galvoptics.co.uk/optical-services/

Hi Mick

Thanks for your reply, however I'm pretty certain that they just do aluminising not refiguring, unlike Oldham and Nichol Optical they don't make telescope mirrors.

John 

9 hours ago, johnturley said:

Hi Mick

Thanks for your reply, however I'm pretty certain that they just do aluminising not refiguring, unlike Oldham and Nichol Optical they don't make telescope mirrors.

John 

Hi John.

I did,nt know that but their optical services does offer precision polishing.

Maybe worth a call.

Mick.

Unfortunately it appears that Norman may have retired due to age and health issues and has ceased trading at the end of Jan.

Owen

Mirror making usually is a one man business. Unfortunately there are now very few mirror makers active int he UK..

Owen