Moving fork mount/tripod to align Polaris.

As I'm having real issues with aligning my mount which is an etx 90 with the deluxe tripod.

So as I want a more precise alignment I want to be able to use the one star Polaris alignment to beging the alignment process.

But as my scope/mount is fixed to the tripod and my garden is grass it is almost impossible to move the tripod to get Polaris in the eyepiece as I have to lift the whole assembly up a good few inches.

I've thought about using wood on the grass as a base but if I do that I won't be able to go near the scope in fear of shifting the wood which will then mess up the alignment.

Has anyone got any tips or advice on moving a fork mount on grass to get Polaris in vie??

I am open to mods and what not if needs must.

Cheers

I made three squares from 18mm plywood about 9 inches by 6 inches with holes drilled in them to locate the tripod points for my extremely heavy Meade Giant Field Tripod, easy to move them on grass with a judicious kick or by tugging on the legs.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

Cheers for that, I may have to give that a try as a I definitely have plenty of wood going spare.

I was thinking of making a new wedge that is adjustable more like a gem mount would be but that would make my wedge tripod kind of useless.

So I'm still deciding on that one.

Why not use 3 small paving squares just place them where the tripod usually stands,then just cut around them place them just below the grass level then you can cut the grass without chewing the blades up on the mower, it worked for me I even painted around the tripod feet when the mount was aligned on Polaris just put the tripod  on the squares and your 99% there just small adjustment`s to get aligned. Des

When I had my 10 act lx6 I just put it down pointed to Polaris then to get it closer I just bumped the tripod with my hand and never had a problem, altho that was concrete. 

I also used eq5 with scopes on it tho on grass and did same thing just bump the tripod legs where u need to move it.

Ps your grass should be keeped short maybe in that area scope goes 2 inch or less

Joejaguar 

You mention your 'wedge tripod.' I'm not sure what you mean by this. I know how wedges work with fork mounts (having fought with one no end of times!!!) but are you wishing to star align your fork mount in Alt-Az mode on a level tripod top? Or are you wanting to polar align a wedge-fork mount?

Olly