SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My first scope - what do I need to go with it?

You know, I am sitting here thinking about it and the only reason I am hesitating is because I am still slightly swayed by how cool the Meade Lightbridge is.

I KNOW - IT'S PATHETIC!

I think the only way to get over this stupid fixation is to go into town and take a look at the Skywatcher and the Lightbridge. I can't believe I am so superficial! I know that buying the Lightbridge would be more expense and more hassle for no gain in viewing pleasure...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the 16" LB and it's great if you don't take it apart all the time.

Being a Truss dob it's all got to go back exactly as it was taken apart and even then needs collimation every time you do it.

Tube dobs are less likely to need collimation.

Again choice is yours.

But the lightbridge in my eyes is alot more attractive.

Some photo's of mine.

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,31211.0.html

I have the 16" LB and it's great if you don't take it apart all the time.

Being a Truss dob it's all got to go back exactly as it was taken apart and even then needs collimation every time you do it.

Tube dobs are less likely to need collimation.

Again choice is yours.

At this point I was thinking Skywatcher... but then you just had to go and type this bit:

:oops:

At this point I was thinking Skywatcher... but then you just had to go and type this bit:

:oops:

While the Lightbridge might look more attractive (depends on your taste) I don't think you get any benefit from a truss tube design in sizes below 12 inches and as Doc says they can involve more maintenance. They also cost more - about 1 good eyepiece more !.

I've got a Skywatcher 200P dobsonian and it holds it's collimation well and performs excellently. It also looks good in my eyes - especially in the dark :(

Of course it's up to you at the end of the day ....

John

Dear Aashwin,

As a practising psychiatrist I must warn you against the dangers of getting a scope that is too attractive. You will spend all your time looking at it and not enough time looking through it. You may also find yourself spending too much time alone with your scope and jeopardising your personal relationships, your family life and your career.

I have to go now as I have to go and polish my scope.

Dr dan

Wibble

ps get a skywatcher - there's little benefit in a truss at under 16 inches (maybe 12; definitely not 8)

8)

I just found something intersting that might change the balance of the whole equation...

The Lightbridge comes with a red-dot finder. The Skywatcher comes with a finder scope and a few people have told me I would need to buy a laser finder for it.

I just found a red-dot finder for £16, so that pushes the Skywatcher up just a little bit closer to the price of the Lightbridge... this is getting silly! I will go into town now and look at the two of them together.

Get the Skywatcher 200 - a perfect first-scope. I got an 8-inch solid-tube dob as my first - and I'm still using it nearly 10 years on.

Forget about collimation for the time being. Use a photo cannister with a hole in it. Stay well clear of lasers or you'll go mad. Stay clear of truss-tubes too until you're sure you know why you might need one.

Only other essential thing you need is lots of warm clothes - especially well-fitting gloves you don't need to take off.

Instead of a planisphere I'd go for a decent star atlas. I got this one when I started and still use it:

http://www.williams.edu/astronomy/fieldguide/

For a red light try the £5 LED head-torch from Argos (which has both white and red LEDs).

For finders, I have a red-dot in a drawer that I never use. I have a 6x30 finder on my scope that I use all the time. Only modification is a toilet-roll tube held over the front end with a rubber band to stop it dewing.

As you're taking up a new hobby you're going to buy lots and lots of stuff you'll never use. That's fine, we all do it. But as long as you also a buy a few things that are genuinely useful you'll have what you need for years to come.

Andrew

Right... I FINALLY DID IT!

But which did I go for?

Well... I went into town and there are only two shops that do telescopes in Bath. The first shop was where I went to look at the Skywatcher. Sadly they don't keep stock there - it's all in their Bristol branch.

So I went to the other shop where they had a 10" Lightbridge on display and I was sold.

I have now placed an order and hope to get my beautiful 'scope soon.

Sorry if it seems like I have ignored a lot of brilliant advice - I really have not! And I know I would get the same results with a lot less hassle from the Skywatcher (for less money)... but I just fell in love.

Love is a strange beast - all rational thought goes out the window.

Anyway, the deed is done. I am dead excited. I didn't order any extra stuff - I will have to do that as I go along. I will share my thoughts on the Lightbridge when it arrives.

Thanks again!

:cheers:

....So I went to the other shop where they had a 10" Lightbridge on display and I was sold....

Did you go for the 10" in the end then ?.

Either way congratulations - I hope it arrives soon and you get some clear skies to try it out with :(

John

PS: I've just been reading through the Cloudynights feedback you got - you must really like the looks of the Meade !

No, I went for the 8"

I know there was a lot of talk about a truss not being worthwhile at this size but...

When I played with the 10" in the shop, I really liked the feel and quality of build, especially the focusser.

At the end of the day I paid over the odds to get a scope that I prefer the look of. It's lame but so am I!

:mrgreen:

My Lightbridge arrived this morning at 9am!

WOOHOO!

I just put it together and it is a thing of beauty. Plus it is the deluxe model, with the wide-angle eyepiece, better red-dot finder and bearings on the azi base. I thought it would be the standard version tbh.

Now if only these pesky clouds would clear...

• 1 month later...

I am so glad I didn't wait in the hope of a January Sales bargain - I paid £292 for my Lightbridge, inc p&p and now it is listed at £380 pretty much everywhere - even at the place I bought mine!

Shame it has been such a cloudy couple of months - I took it out once just after the new year. It was -7 C and ice was forming on my scope (and my face). I managed to blind myself with the moon and saw the orion nebula. I was even able to make out the four stars of the trapezium!

I am hooked. Just need clear skies now!

Archived