Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first scope - what do I need to go with it?

Hello!

Sorry for the highly unoriginal first post but I made an enquiry of First Light Optics today and the helpful chap said I may want to canvas opinion on this venerable forum.

Basically, I am gagging to get into astronomy and after extensive research and much deliberation I have decided that my first scope will be a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P dob (narrowly pipping the Meade Lightbridge 8).

I plan on ordering this from FLO tonight but I just wanted to make sure that I have everything I need to get started on the first clear night.

So far, the only absolutely essential accessory I know I must buy is a Meade ND96 moon filter.

So, the Skyliner 200P and the moon filter... is there anything else that you would regard as essential?

I would like to take some photos of the moon. I understand that using a dob for astrophotography is generally not advised due to the long exposures required. But surely I can get some good shots of the moon on a dob?

Correct me if I am wrong. I have a Canon EOS400D dSLR and would obviously need the bits to attach it to the eyepiece but I don't want to waste my money if it's impossible to get a good shot of the moon using this scope.

Anyway, advice much appreciated and apologies for the long post!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evening Ashwin and welcome to the forum.

The first thing I would recommend to start you off would be a planisphere and some freely available astro software such as stellarium, to help you plan your evenings viewing.

Later you may want to invest in a widefield 2" eyepiece for "Space walk views."

Steve or James at Flo will give you nothing but good advice..

HTH

Greg

Yes you will get shots of the Moon with a Dob, you will only need at the most 1/60 second exposures. Steve at FLO will have the bits to connect your camera to the focuser, they aren't expensive. The biggest eyepiece you want on your scope is about 33mil. When money allows I would highly recommend you get a 2 inch 30 to 33 mil eyepiece. This will give you about x30 magnification which might not sound a lot but you will get magnificent views. Most astronomical objects are quite large, they ae just faint. Welcome to SGL by the way!

Add a red LED light to read star charts, this need only be a simple rear bicycle light not the expensive torches (unless you have a spare £15).

If you have light pollution a LP filter or UHC will improve the view on nebula.

Regarding the moon filter - the polarising type is way better than the ND type as it can be adjusted to reduce the glare to the right level.

Hope you get clear skies to enjoy the new scope when it arrives.

Mike

Welcome to SGL.

You have a great scope that will show you lots of interesting objects.

Apart from the moon filter you will need at least a couple of eyepieces. The Baader Hyperion range are fantastic. These can be seen at FLO as well.

Download Stellarium from the web. It's a freeware planetarium program. Great for the beginner.

You will also need some sort of finder for your dob. I have a telrad on my lightbridge works a treat and so easy to use.

Just make sure you plan your night and have a great time.

I took this snap of the moon: http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,35783.msg367515.html , with my 400D through a telescope very similar to the 200P so with the gear you're looking at you'll have a great setup. My telescope is on an EQ mount but the images were done on 1/80 (if I remember correctly) so you'll get very similar results from a dob. You just have to get a T ring adapter thingy so the DSLR will go in the focuser. You might run into a problem with focusing, lack of inwards travel. I had to move the mirror up on my telescope to fix that - but you can also by a low profile focuser that'll do the same. :D

Welcome to SGL :(

Sam

Apart from the moon filter you will need at least a couple of eyepieces. The Baader Hyperion range are fantastic. These can be seen at FLO as well.

Won't the EPs that come with it suffice at first? Bare in mind anything will look amazing to a novice like me!

You will also need some sort of finder for your dob. I have a telrad on my lightbridge works a treat and so easy to use.

I thought the 200P came with a finder scope?

Yes the supplied eyepieces will be fine with your scope. As for the telrad Billy has given an excellent answer.

I find it so much simpler to starhop using just a telrad rather then a finderscope.

Of course use your finderscope but I just found it awkward as it's upside down reverse image is a pain in the backside.

The scope itself will have very few shortcomings... the little addons just make life easier... did you get anythign to help with collimation?

I know I used struggle using a finderscope I kept moving the wrong way ..I know use the camera mounted on the Megrez 72 as my "finder" so the pentaprism in the camera gives me a correctly oriented image...much easier...

Billy...

Jsut noticed my next post is #3333 I need serious help... :(

Welcome to SGL aashwin.

Great scope to start with and lots of good advice. Unfortunately, someone needs to warn you about big fluffy white things, called clouds, that render the best of scopes useless. Be prepared for the same frustration that the rest of us suffer. On the plus side though, it will give you more time to spend logged on to SGL getting even more good advice. :(:D:lol:

Mike

I have a 200P dobsonian as well. The eyepieces that come with it are OK to get started but you will benefit from some better quality replacements in due course. I find I don't need a moon filter. A UHC filter will help bring out the fainter nebulae but is not absolutely essential straightaway. Personally I could not get on with the 9x50 straight through finder that came with it so I got a Baader Skysurfer III red dot finder to replace it straight away and have now got an 8x50 right angle optical finder - though I still find that I use the red dot finder the most.

For me the finder change was the most urgent thing as, with the help of good star charts, that is the best way to find deep sky objects.

I'm also thinking about building a stout platform for my dob to sit on as I find the eyepiece position a bit low - I'm 6 feet tall and stooping hurts eventually.

Great scope though :(

John

Thanks Mike.

The clouds around here are rarely white and fluffy - they look more like granite!

Looks like I have found my new web home... :thumbright:

Yep wont go far wrong on here.... its always busy and you'll usually get prompt and accurate advice... even from me from time to time.... :(

It does get a bit quieter on those very rare cloudless nights ... but we havent had them for quiet a while .... it was the begining of the month 1st and 2nd that I last had the scope out :D

Billy...

You could get a Wixey digital Angle gauge, it will help you get the correct Alt measurement to help find objects, there is a lot of info on Cloudy Nights Dobsonium Forum about creating a "push too" system for Dobs and it worked on my Skyliner 200. Its not someting you need immediatly but if you have trouble finding faint objects it was more help than a Telrad for me as I have quite a lot of light pollution (think the Telrad works best at darker sites). I think there was a thread on this forum as well which helped me decide that I needed a Wixey (I think FLO sells them)

Good luck

Martin

And don't forget to keep asking FLO for deals and try to buy from them when possible.

They really support this site , whilst trying to make a living. (especially under present hard conditions). They do pass on some seriously great discounts.

I'm going to get that very same scope in spring :(

I look forward to your findings as I'm also on the first steps to 'becoming' an amateur Astronomer. :mrgreen:

Guy

I am so close to actually taking the plunge on the following:

Skywatcher Skyliner 200P

Meade ND96 Moon Filter

T-Ring Adaptor for Canon EOS

Cheshire Collimating Eyepiece

It's in my FLO basket right now, staring at me, with a final price of £272.56. Is there any chance FLO will throw any bits in for free? I notice they give a discount to SGL members but this does not include Skywatcher stuff - boo!

I think that is everything I need to get started. Only question now is do I pop into town (Bath) to take a look at the Skyliner "in the flesh", so to speak? I will still buy from FLO because I have been very impressed with their help and support, and feel I should reciprocate in these tough times.

I wish I could just take the plunge but I want to make sure I get it right!

I am so close to actually taking the plunge on the following:

Skywatcher Skyliner 200P

Meade ND96 Moon Filter

T-Ring Adaptor for Canon EOS

Cheshire Collimating Eyepiece

It's in my FLO basket right now, staring at me, with a final price of £272.56. Is there any chance FLO will throw any bits in for free? I notice they give a discount to SGL members but this does not include Skywatcher stuff - boo!

I think that is everything I need to get started. Only question now is do I pop into town (Bath) to take a look at the Skyliner "in the flesh", so to speak? I will still buy from FLO because I have been very impressed with their help and support, and feel I should reciprocate in these tough times.

I wish I could just take the plunge but I want to make sure I get it right!

As a first scope package that is a great choice. You have everything there that you need for visual and basic photography.

Things like filters and better eyepieces can wait the most important thing is you can get out there and start observing.

One thing I would add is a book called "Turn left at Orion" and maybe a star atlas or planisphere.

Go on do it you won't regret it.

Archived