SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Testing atik460 efw2 and samyang135 f2

assouptro

Hi all

I have left it late this year to try and adapt my Atik460 to take wide field images, all the good stuff is drifting to the west which I cannot see from my back garden 

Whilst looking for a way to adapt the camera and Efw2 to canon lenses I came across an adapter made for qhy cameras with an m54 thread which in theory should screw straight into my filter wheel giving me 45mm from lens to sensor, allowing for the effect of the filters on the light entering this should give me close to 44mm spacing! 

https://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/accessories/adapters/qhy-m54-canon-lens-adapter-020071/

I emailed Bern from Modern astronomy and he was initially worried the filter wheel was too thick but after trying to find me an alternative he said it was the best option and should work. 
I am away for a long weekend in Northumberland and there was the possibility of a couple of hours clear skies so I brought some Astro kit with me and managed to get an hour of Ha last night, albeit through high haze. 

BBD9A69A-AF34-4CA1-B8F5-6AF50E020A66.thumb.jpeg.724216d384d031657fb6a2f81f4eef37.jpeg

camera Atik 460

lens Samyang 135mm f2 stepped down 2 clicks

4 min subs unguided on an Azeq6 

I would love to continue with this but it’ll have to wait now till late autumn from my location 

Thanks for looking 

Bryan 

Edited by assouptro
  • Like 15

I would say from the image above that this was a success.  That really is a wide field shot.

I have a 414ex mono and an EFW2 as well, and would really like a simple, non-fiddly ( and repeatable !!!)  method of attaching the Samyang.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Craney said:

I would say from the image above that this was a success.  That really is a wide field shot.

I have a 414ex mono and an EFW2 as well, and would really like a simple, non-fiddly ( and repeatable !!!)  method of attaching the Samyang.

H Craney

thanks for the comment

I think the 414 has the same back focus as the 460 so this adapter should work for you too!

It’s easy, just screws in to the 54mm thread on the filter wheel, done! Not expensive either! 

https://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/accessories/adapters/qhy-m54-canon-lens-adapter-020071/

Cheers 

Bryan 

Edited by assouptro
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, simmo39 said:

V nice, I must try and get one of these lenses, getting past the wife is a problem though!

Hi Simmo

thanks for the comment, I know what you mean, it’s tricky, I have an Astro fund that I put money into each week, sometimes I have to use the saved money for other stuff but I try and let it build up so I can treat myself once in a while! I think I paid around £300 for the lens which by Astro equipment standards is quite cheap?

I got mine from these guys. 

https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/2793/samyang_135mm_f/2.0_ed_umc_lens_for_sony_e-mount?gclid=Cj0KCQiAqNPyBRCjARIsAKA-WFzrJ0oeqDunjxTnCUgCVjDVilKAfs2Tj_2iB-cDPg95PZ4DAX_WUFcaAmVBEALw_wcB

I’d love an eq8r but I honestly don’t think I would get away with something that costs the same as a second hand car, or a 2 week villa holiday! 

cheers 

Bryan

• Like 1

Great image Bryan.  I have the same Atik camera and EFW as you and have yesterday ordered a Samyang 135 F2 lens, (wish I had seen this post first could have got it £50 cheaper).

I have been sitting her wondering how I could attach the camera AND filterwheel to the lens.  

Carole 

• Like 1

Impressive image Bryan! I got both the Samyang 135 and the ATIK 460 (and both being unused right now) so I should try it. I assume we all know that it is an extreme case of under-sampling (6.93"/pixel) and waste of real estate (the Samyang can illuminate a full size APS), but if it looks good, it looks good. Not sure what affordable camera would do it much better (ATIK 490 would still be 5.63"/pixel). I did buy one of these from FLO a short time ago with the aim of attaching one of my cooled cameras to the Samyang:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-samyang-lens-to-m48-adapter.html

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, carastro said:

Great image Bryan.  I have the same Atik camera and EFW as you and have yesterday ordered a Samyang 135 F2 lens, (wish I had seen this post first could have got it £50 cheaper).

I have been sitting her wondering how I could attach the camera AND filterwheel to the lens.  

Carole 

Thanks Carole 

the image was helped by a trip to Northumberland, I can’t believe the clarity of the skies on the east coast! 
I want to live there! 
The adapter works. It just screws straight in and pretty much gives you the correct spacing. 
I do have a slight amount of tilt that I have noticed when I zoom into one of the corners, but this could be an issue anywhere in the image train? Possibly the lens itself? 
Thanks again for the comment 

Bryan 

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Man on SGL claims sensational widefield image of Heart and Soul taken in just one hour. Scientists and elderly members say, 'impossible.'

😁 Damn, that's good!!! I know this part of the sky with a CCD and... damn that's good!

Olly

That’s huge praise Olly! 
I am very happy you like it! 

Thank you, seriously, Thank you for your comment. 

Bryan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gorann said:

Impressive image Bryan! I got both the Samyang 135 and the ATIK 460 (and both being unused right now) so I shoud try it. I assume we all know that it is an extreme case of under-sampling (6.93"/pixel) and waste of real estate (the Samyang can illuminate a full size APS), but if it looks good, it looks good. Not sure what affordable camera would do it much better (ATIK 490 would still be 5.63"/pixel). I did buy one of these from FLO a short time ago with the aim of attaching one of my cooled cameras to the Samyang:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-samyang-lens-to-m48-adapter.html

Thanks gorann

It’s true, major under-sampling, I would love to own a cooled CCD that could do true justice to this lovely lens but as yet I don’t have the funds.

I enjoy experimenting with with the equipment I own and ’pushing the envelope’ you can sometimes get pleasantly surprised by the outcome. 

Thanks for the link to the adapter, it looks like it could be a useful

and thanks for the comment 

Bryan 

On 25/02/2020 at 18:56, ollypenrice said:

Man on SGL claims sensational widefield image of Heart and Soul taken in just one hour. Scientists and elderly members say, 'impossible.'

😁 Damn, that's good!!! I know this part of the sky with a CCD and... damn that's good!

Olly

Love this.  Great image Bryan 👍

• Like 1

Hi again

After sorting through the images I took over the weekend in Northumberland I have been adding a bit more info to the original image, I had 2 hours Ha and an hour Oiii to play with. 
The Oiii data wasn’t the best by any means so I ended up stretching it then putting it through StarNet to remove the stars which were bloated before adding it as blue and green. 
It will never win any awards, but still, I am happy with what I was able to achieve in 3 hours imaging! 

thanks for looking 

Bryan 

FB595F0F-F302-466E-9D9E-EDA98EBC4E0E.thumb.jpeg.f969f971c30dec3721b00aecb9d1b5ec.jpeg

• Like 2