Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

oymd

AZ-EQ6 Pro Saddle/puck

Recommended Posts

The saddle on the mount is not the greatest piece of engineering, but it works OK with the vixen dovetail on my ED80, which is helped by the OTA being very light  

My problems started when I replaced the vixen style dovetail on my C11 XLT with the CGE dovetail, to improve stability. 

Getting the wide CGE dovetail into the saddle is now very very tricky, and I almost dropped the OTA! I have to loosen both bolts on the saddle to accommodate the CGE dovetail, and still it would barely fit, to the point that I dropped both bolts when I was loosening them.  Had to look for them in the dark in the garden. Luckily found both with the springs attached. 
 

To accommodate the width of the CGE dovetail, there is barely a quarter of a turn left before the knobs fall off completely!

Are there any LONGER replacement knob options you recommend or know of, or should I just get a couple of similar thread and size longer bolts from a tool DIY shop?

Or should I just get rid of the whole saddle and replace with ADM? And if so, which one? 

Also, sliding now the C11 on the CGE dovetail to balance in DEC is near impossible, and a disaster waiting to happen.  It is extremely rough, and the OTA does not slide, and with the knobs even slightly undone, there is good contact with the dovetail  

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a C11 on a NEQ6pro....

I removed the factory saddle and replaced it with a dual Geopik saddle.

I "upgraded" to a wider Losmandy dovetail, fitted a safety stop bar and run with the C11 OTA VERY far forward. Had to add a few extra weights to the front of the dovetail to get "best" balance.

You can see the new saddle (orange) and the safety bar in the image)

Mainsail Obs 002s.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

I use a C11 on a NEQ6pro....

I removed the factory saddle and replaced it with a dual Geopik saddle.

I "upgraded" to a wider Losmandy dovetail, fitted a safety stop bar and run with the C11 OTA VERY far forward. Had to add a few extra weights to the front of the dovetail to get "best" balance.

You can see the new saddle (orange) and the safety bar in the image)

Mainsail Obs 002s.jpg

That looks like some serious kit attached there!

Didn’t know that Geoptik do saddles. Thought just bags. 
 

I will look into it, as I would like to keep my existing CGE dovetail, as I’ve just bought it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cant help you on the saddle front other than i found the adm to be excellent on my heq5

However, if you only have a quarter turn of the bolts holding the dovetail, DO NOT USE IT! 

The usual advice on bolts is that you need a minimum of three turns with the threads engaged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Pompey Monkey said:

Cant help you on the saddle front other than i found the adm to be excellent on my heq5

However, if you only have a quarter turn of the bolts holding the dovetail, DO NOT USE IT! 

The usual advice on bolts is that you need a minimum of three turns with the threads engaged.

which is what I find quite surprising, as the HEQ5, NEQ6, EQ6 and AZ-EQ6 can take a C11 easily, and surely there are members out there with this similar setup.

why am i the only one who brought this up? are my bolts short for some reason?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine works fine with my 9.25" XLT.  Just a thought, is your spring loading working ok on the saddle?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel your pain, and asked a similar question for my Atlas AZ-EQ-G...   My LX200 has a broad Losmandy dovetail that means the saddle clamp has to opened until the screws almost come off before it can be settled on the mount.... Screws will tighten well after this however and it is very secure once on.   Some of the issue might be just getting used to how to place the OTA, which is quite heavy.  I think as I get more accurate at placing it on, possibly the screws might not need to be widened so far.   I find it safest to (after the counterweights are on) place the tube on the saddle with the latitude nearly horizontal, tighten up the saddle and secure the OTA, and then adjust to the right latitude.   So I'm also looking for longer screws or may be a replacement saddle in the future.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Mine works fine with my 9.25" XLT.  Just a thought, is your spring loading working ok on the saddle?

Are you using a vixen or a wide losmandy/CGE dovetail?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scoobs767 said:

I feel your pain, and asked a similar question for my Atlas AZ-EQ-G...   My LX200 has a broad Losmandy dovetail that means the saddle clamp has to opened until the screws almost come off before it can be settled on the mount.... Screws will tighten well after this however and it is very secure once on.   Some of the issue might be just getting used to how to place the OTA, which is quite heavy.  I think as I get more accurate at placing it on, possibly the screws might not need to be widened so far.   I find it safest to (after the counterweights are on) place the tube on the saddle with the latitude nearly horizontal, tighten up the saddle and secure the OTA, and then adjust to the right latitude.   So I'm also looking for longer screws or may be a replacement saddle in the future.

 

Yes, once I manage to secure the dovetail, it’s all good. 
like you said, the main issue is to be able to fit the CGE dovetail in, I need to completely release the bolts to the point they almost fall off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, oymd said:

Are you using a vixen or a wide losmandy/CGE dovetail?

Both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.