SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Any difference between the 2 DS for a LS100THA

Bigdob

What’s the difference besides price on the Internal DS and the 100mm DS.

got the Internal DS for my Lunt 100 and I’ve been able to use it about 4 times now and the jury is still out .

There was a little surface detail that was enhanced on 2 occasions and of coarse proms were visible. I tuned it by adjusting the primary for the best view and then install the DS and then tune it until the surface detail was enhanced and when it comes on band the whole disk brightens and you know your there.

Proms are nice but not as nice as SS.

What can be expected with the full 100mm DS in the view?

I know the red glow is gone , is there any difference on surface and prom detail , are they the same or enhanced over the Internal DS?

I would guess the 100mm DS is tilt tuned? I guess you would have to step to the side and adjust and go back and look or have someone adjust it while I watch as I don’t think I could reach it from the eyepiece?

Is it a set it and forget it .

I think if there are other advantages besides eliminating the red glow I’d be interested in learning about them.

I am just a visual observer too

BD

Double stacking etalons reduces the bandwidth - two 0.7A etalons will give around 0.4 - 0.5A bandwidth. This configuration also significantly reduces the light throughput, giving darker images.

The benefit of the DS is certainly the improved Ha contrast when viewing surface features. For proms, due to their movements a wider bandwidth is usually much better, up to 2A.

I use a SM60 DS on my ED80 - great for surface, but revert to SS for the proms.

I believe your enquiring about the differences between possible DS options 

Option 1. One internal and one external  etalon

Option 2. Two externally mounted etalons 

Option 3. Two internal etalons 

As I understand it the ultimate DS preference is to use 2 external etalons 

I have no experience of such , but do use a factory matched 60DS from time to time 

which I like as it only uses one external  ERF.

Edited by Solar B

Solar B , your right.

Im looking for input on the differences between the Internal DS and the Lunt 100mm filter that fits on the end of the scope .

I have the Internal DS and it performs like it should , I just want to know if there is a visual difference between the two  on a Lunt LS100THa 

Thanks again 

‘BD