SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Starlight Live - Filter Wheel Problem

Bill S

I’m having a problem with using a Starlight Xpress filter wheel with Starlight Live. I recently bought a new laptop and have installed Starlight Live on it. It works fine with my Lodestar X2 for mono imaging but when I connect the filter wheel it does not detect it. (Or more correctly it has only detected it once.) The filter wheel is detected OK on my older laptop. Also on the new laptop I can see and control the filter wheel with APT instead of Starlight Live (using the filter wheel’s ASCOM driver.)

My new laptop only has USB 3.1 ports. The old one only has USB 2.0. So, I’m wondering if this could be part of the problem. If I connect a USB C to USB 2.0 adaptor and then connect the wheel this does not improve matters.

The filter wheel makes all the right noises and goes for a circuit when I connect it to the laptop. When I look in Device Manager the wheel can be seen as USB input device under Human Interface Devices.

I've tried with both SLL v3.3 and v3.4.

Any ideas?

Best regards

Bill

• 2 months later...

Well I have sorted the problem but not in the way I would have preferred. I can control the filter wheel from SLL but not using my laptop with USB 3.1 ports. Instead I use a laptop which has some USB 2 ports. In addition following some email discussions with Terry at Starlight Xpress I have switched to SLL Version 3.0. This is fine for my purposes. I can control the filter wheel with no problems connected to a USB 3.1 port using the SX filter wheel control program or APT.

You may wish to discuss the problem you are having with Terry. He had some questions for me about the age and hence firmware of my filter wheel.

Martin Meredith is hoping to make some additions to Jocular that will allow it to control the image collection including filter wheel but this feature is not available yet.

In practice I mainly do mono only imaging at present.

Best regards