SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The valley of indecision

Hi People, 

So I need a good talking to as I'm really undecided. 

I am presently selling my set up of EQ5 and 200pds to purchase a more appropriate mount for imaging with my 72ED. I was set on the Heq5 but then came into a little more cash allowing me a few more options. 

I can now afford to buy the Heq5 for 797 new with shipping or I had an offer of 800 for a neq6. I could then also keep the 200pds and use either scopes on the neq6. 

I'm concerned about the portability of the neq6 and just can't seem to make up my mind. 

Put me out of my misery, what would you do? 

Thanks 

Simon 

With the 60D on the 200p your image scale will be at 0.89" per pixel. This will require excellent tracking and guiding, around 0.4 to 0.5" RMS, imo beyond the regular capability of SW mounts. It can be done but you will have good nights and bad nights. On my old AZEQ6, which is belt driven, I regularly seen guiding averages of 0.6 to 0.8" per pixel. With a 200p and a camera like yours I bet I would have seen tracking errors more often than not..

Why not keep the EQ5 and use the ED72 on that? I'm using an AZGTi in EQ mode and i can get guiding averages of around 1.5 to 2.0" RMS. And it's not even designed for AP!

• Like 1

Honestly, I started off with practically the same kit as you. I ended up buying a bigger mount to match the scope when ultimately I sold the 200p and bought a small refractor. Knowing what I know now, i would have kept my EQ5 and bought the small refractor first. Give it a try first. If you still want a bigger mount for a bigger scope in the future can always sort it out then. Fyi the SW mounts are very robust and not much really goes wrong with them so not risking much by buying second hand.

If you intend buying the neq6, it  is a weighty unit together with tripod . Transporting to site and setting up for a session will require dedication. Plus, polar aligning needs to be carried out.

If you want to go big, delay it for a while, until such time as you build yourself an Observatory with a permanent pier to install your mount and larger scope. Polar alignment need only be done once, no repeat setting up, all that's required is to set out your imaging targets for the night. Hi into your obs, switch on and away you go.

Now I know the above would be the Ideal outcome for you. However, that route is not possible for many, and I've no Idea if you have the facilities to build an Obsy.  If not, I would keep your setup requirements to a minimum, and do it well.  

I wish you well whatever you do.

Ron.

1 hour ago, alacant said:

Hi. You can never have enough mount. Get the eq6 and keep both telescopes. As galaxy season approaches, you'll be glad you kept the 200;)

Just our €0.02

HTH

You can certainly have too much mount. If lugging it about puts you off you won't want to do it.  The EQ6, in my view, is significantly less portable than the HEQ5 and it is no more accurate - though it has a bigger payload. I image at about 0.9"PP with a premium mount at a premium site and the fact is that it is by no means always possible to beat the seeing, even so.

Olly

14 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

You can certainly have too much mount. If lugging it about puts you off you won't want to do it.  The EQ6, in my view, is significantly less portable than the HEQ5 and it is no more accurate - though it has a bigger payload. I image at about 0.9"PP with a premium mount at a premium site and the fact is that it is by no means always possible to beat the seeing, even so.

Olly

Completely agree. I originally had an avx which I could lift intact from house to garden. I sold this after getting my cem60 but really regretted it because the cem60 cannot be lifted intact. The cem60 is a dream to use and guides <0.5" rms if the sky allows but it isnt worth the effort unless I know I am going to get >4 hours of clear sky.

I have therefore bought a heq5 which I can lift intact with a widefield setup and doesn't require anything more than a power tank. I can easily use this when the weather doesn't allow for a full night imaging. In practice I have also found this faster to setup and way more usable than the star adventurer.

Buy something you can use opportunistically and keep setup. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For portability I would say go with a second hand heq5 as they are always coming up for sale. Spend an extra £100 and install the belt mod if needed.

I used to love my eq5 pro and you could lift up the whole lot including the scope and stick it in the shed. The mount head on a neq6 is a heavier weight on its own. In fact for you budget I think you could even purchase a second hand polemaster for quick PA if needed.

• Thanks 1

For my mobile imaging system I went from an NEQ6 pro to an Avalon M-uno and am now back with the NEQ6 Pro.  If you think you can handle the weight and moving of an NEQ6 I would go for that one. If your imaging aspiration increases and you want to upgrade to a 100mm APO with Camera, filterwheel, filters and motorised focuser this can be easily accommodated.

What you think your system will be at this stage can change dramatically when the imaging bug bits. 

• Like 1

One advantage of the HEQ5 is the ability to transport it all over. I took mine, with all the kit, to La Palma a few years back.

There were two of us travelling and, because the weather is nice out there, it only took one item of excess baggage between us. Although I do confess to removing approximately 30 cm off of the tripod legs to make it fit in the suitcase.... lol

IMG_5141.JPG

Edited by Pompey Monkey
  • Like 2

Thanks Folks, 

All your advice seems to make sense. Unfortunately, not everyone agrees😀

I think I need to go pick up both mounts to test the weight. Right now I am leaning towards going with my ED72 on a Heq5 Pro goto. 

But I'm going to keep chewing it over. 

Cheers 

Simon 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

Thanks Folks, 

All your advice seems to make sense. Unfortunately, not everyone agrees😀

I think I need to go pick up both mounts to test the weight. Right now I am leaning towards going with my ED72 on a Heq5 Pro goto. 

But I'm going to keep chewing it over. 

Cheers 

Simon 

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/348847-astro-equipment-for-sale/

• Thanks 1