SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Surely a Darwin Award winner....!

chiltonstar

I’m puzzled by the idea that someone with the imagination, engineering abilities and determination to build a rocket can seriously believe the Earth is flat. Had he put a fraction of that effort into studying the evidence he should surely have been able to satisfy himself that the Earth is spherical. 

• Like 2

If you read previous articles on him you'll see he didn't believe in science either. He believed the science behind rocket propulsion was fake.

"I don't believe in science," Hughes added. "I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air, about the certain size of rocket nozzles, and thrust. But that's not science, that's just a formula. There's no difference between science and science fiction."

10 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Unbelievable, he said he wanted to reach 40,000 feet, why didn't he take a plane, maybe not quite 40,000 but would have been close.

Steve

ah but he'd still have probably said it's flat and that it was just the distance that made it look curved, a trick of the eye and all that. Sounds like he/they got their "formula" very wrong tho if the chute opened while it was launching.

9 minutes ago, Gina said:

He had it right on the previous attempt so I guess it was an equipment failure.  Unless he changed something.  Guess we will never know.

One account indicated that the parachute system opened too soon......

Chris

"Mad" Mike Hughes   .......  not a particularly good moniker if you are trying to convince people that an established 'world' view is incorrect........ 

but right on the button when considering his methodology in doing so.

Ironically , the news of his passing will be beamed all around the Earth.

Edited by Craney
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Unbelievable, he said he wanted to reach 40,000 feet, why didn't he take a plane, maybe not quite 40,000 but would have been close.

Steve

Because airliners have trick windows that make the horizon look curved. Or so I am told on the twitterfacenet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Whatever his belief was, does this tragic death really warrant such satirical ridicule  from members and moderators. 

If so, please remove my account as I’m not sure I want to be part of this group anymore   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Andy R said:

Whatever his belief was, does this tragic death really warrant such satirical ridicule  from members and moderators. 

If so, please remove my account as I’m not sure I want to be part of this group anymore   

I have to say that I am also surprised at the reactions.

The Royal Society's motto is "Nullius in Verba".  This guy was just trying to investigate for himself.

Even if I think that he was wrong, he actually built a rocket.  We need far more people like him.

• Like 1

We know Flat Earth is a fallacy but he did build a steam powered rocket powerful enough to carry a person.  That's pretty darned clever.  Hats off to him.  Shame he had to die in his attempt!!

• Like 2

It is the combination of Flat Earther and steam rocket that amazes me - very much in the Victorian or Edwardian tradition. I am thinking of "Those magnificent men....". Why didn't he use a hot air balloon - I am sure the curvature of the Earth was obvious last time I went up in one, and no windows to curve reality.

Chris

• Like 2

Most experimenters have been called stupid at the time but without them many things would not have been invented or discovered.

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but I feel there's a place for us mad scientists/engineers!

Edited by Gina
  • Like 3