Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Apollo 28x110 or Omegon Brightsky or TS Optic Semi-APO 90deg Bins??

Hi all, I have the Helios Apollo 15x70s and enjoy them with filters, a must for me.

Now I'm interested in some giant binoculars that take filters.

My preferred choice would be some that take 1.25" EPs like these TS Optics Semi-APO, but just out of budget unless someone has a pair second-hand.

Now interested in Helios Apollo 28x110s, but everyone seems to be sold out or they are discontinued?

I found the Omegon Brightsky 28x110s on AstroShop, and they seem to be identical in every way to the Helios, they're even green (which I like).

Does anyone think the Helios and Omegons are the exact same quality, same bins? Anyone used these? I know of course they weigh a ton and will need a serious tripod or mount.

Should I just save up for some dedicated 45deg astro bins that take 1.25 EPs?

Anyone selling any of the above!

Cheers all.

Hi Robert ,I`ve got a set of Garrett Signature 28x110,they are very good and very heavy ,do not underestimate the mount you will need,Oberwerk Helios, APM all do 28 x110mm versions.

My set need collimating as i have a double image,they have been very reliable and i could recomend then,i mount mine on a very large parallelogram,would not like to have a lighter mount as i feel it would compromise the performance.I`ve just checked and Rothervallyoptics stock the apollo!!!

Good luck in your search.

Regards

Mike

Edited by Demon Barber
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 110mm are going to need a heavy tripod or parallelogram and be hard to get to high altitudes. Bins that take astro eyepieces will give more flexibility , wider fields and enable filters.  https://www.altairastro.com/altair-100mm-45-giant-observation-binoculars-with-18mm-uf-eyepieces-16-p.asp Look interesting too, but again a bit over your budget. Buying pairs of eyepieces and filters also attacks your wallet rapidly and you’ll still want a good mount, maybe a hole mount, which seem enable higher altitude viewing.

Peter

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Demon Barber said:

Hi Robert ,I`ve got a set of Garrett Signature 28x110,they are very good and very heavy ,do not underestimate the mount you will need,Oberwerk Helios, APM all do 28 x110mm versions.

My set need collimating as i have a double image,they have been very reliable and i could recomend then,i mount mine on a very large parallelogram,would not like to have a lighter mount as i feel it would compromise the performance.I`ve just checked and Rothervallyoptics stock the apollo!!!

Good luck in your search.

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike, I see the specs are a tick under 7kg, so very hefty indeed. Rother Valley is out of the 28x110, they have 20x110 in stock, but prefer the extra mag. Filter attachments are a must for me, the only other one I see is the Omegon, but actually the price on those is about £40 less than the Apollos. I'm not in a huge rush on these, will give RVO a bell on Monday and see what the deal is with the 28x110. I'll probably place a wanted advert as well, bound to be a set gathering dust somewhere! Thanks for the feedback on the 28x110s, they sound like the business with lots of light gathering. Thanks again Mike!

26 minutes ago, PeterW said:

The 110mm are going to need a heavy tripod or parallelogram and be hard to get to high altitudes. Bins that take astro eyepieces will give more flexibility , wider fields and enable filters.  https://www.altairastro.com/altair-100mm-45-giant-observation-binoculars-with-18mm-uf-eyepieces-16-p.asp Look interesting too, but again a bit over your budget. Buying pairs of eyepieces and filters also attacks your wallet rapidly and you’ll still want a good mount, maybe a hole mount, which seem enable higher altitude viewing.

Peter

Thanks Peter - the Apollos and Brightskys both have threaded filter attachments, the only two 28x110s that I can find (the Lightquest sound intriguing, but they don't take filters). I'd prefer something like the Altairs in your link, but that would definitely be a second-hand purchase. I think there are a few quantums floating around out there used. Being able to change mag would be excellent, I already have four pairs of binoviewer EPs, so pretty much set in that department. The tripod or mount will have to be well made! Time to get my MIG welder and angle grinder out, I could probably make something quite decent with some initial design consideration. A summer project?!

Edited by Ships and Stars
typos

On 21/02/2020 at 19:30, Ships and Stars said:

Does anyone think the Helios and Omegons are the exact same quality, same bins? Anyone used these? I know of course they weigh a ton and will need a serious tripod or mount..

They are both Kunming United Optics BA8s, but it is possible for different branders to specify some variations. However, they are unlikely to be massively different.

Should I just save up for some dedicated 45deg astro bins that take 1.25 EPs?

If I didn't already have my (now venerable) Miyauchi Galaxy Bj100 (bespoke interchangeable eyepieces), I'd probably go for one of the APM ED APOs. A friend has the 100mm, and it's a cracking bit of kit (he uses sets of Televue eyepieces, but you could probably get away with lesser ones unless you're bumping the magnification right up - in which case, use a telescope, not a bino (IMNSVHO, of course 🙂) )

• Thanks 1

Ooh, sounds very nice, but not sure I can afford ED binos! I'm intrigued by the Omegons for the price, around £450. That would keep me busy until someone parts with their second hand 45/90 degree set. I missed a pair of quantums on ABS as you might have seen. I keep telling myself they must have been way out of collimation for the price. I sleep better that way, haha. May I ask, would you go with Panoptics or Delites? The 24 pans seem to be the ticket. Thanks by the way for the information, I must confess I've been on the APM website a fair bit lately. The Altairs are looking nice as well.