Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M36 Widefield

russ

Just a test shot. Wanted to see if the Zenithstar 80 would work with the Celestron 0.63 focal reducer/corrector. That would reduce the Zenithstar from f6 to f3.8 and reduce it's focal length from 480mm to 302mm. So I centered up on M36 in Auriga and took a 5min image using the 10D and Astronomiks CLS filter, unguided on the EQ6. This is the result:

image.jpg

Russ

Not sure what's going on at the bottom of the image, something funny. I have a feeling it will look a lot worse at home on the TFT monitor, the CRT at work is very dark. Tends to make things look better than they are really.

Russ

5 mins unguided , wow Russ u got that set up well , and at 3,8 i know that helps a lot , i think thats agreat image Russ , could it be still some vignettingon the oputer edges, i,m suffering still with this , shows up even more with the CLS on mine , but even so , a splended result .

Rog

Actually the EQ6 was having an off night. Did the alignment no worries, then punched in M42 for a test and it was miles off. Did the alignment again, no worries but still it refused to put anything in the eyepiece. Gave up on the GOTO, it was a rubbish sky anyway, and decided to just test the scope and reducer.

Vignetting was my first thought. I wonder if there is something within the scope that has obstructed the path. There's no vignetting at f6. Pleased with the CLS filter. It only arrived yesterday. I borrowed Ant's before but found it cut off too much light for short exposures. But it works a treat for longish exposures.

Also pleased with the field of view....its huge! And a pretty flat field too, the stars are equally focused at the edge as they are in the middle. Plus there's no chromatic abberation from the optics. Pleased all round. :lol:

Russ

James, internal reflection....i think you may be onto soemthing there.

Martin, unscrew the Antares 2" T adapter to reveal male and female SCT threads. Put the adapter back together with the Celestron focal reducer sandwiched in the middle. Works like a charm. It also works very well with the Orion/Skywatcher ED80 and ED100. Bring the ED80 down from f7.5 to f4.9.

Ant, the field of view is huge, should be good for M31 a bit later in the year.

Russ

Archived