Narrowband

QSI 683 - Fans not working

PhotoGav

I noticed yesterday that the two fans on the back of my QSI 683 are not working. The cooling seems to work normally, but no fans. I have contacted QSI / Atik and await their response, but wonder if anyone on here has had a similar problem? I have tried turning everything off and on again and have played with turning the fan on and off through the driver, but all with no joy. Any other thoughts about how to get the darn thing working properly again?

Thanks,

Gav.

17 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Best not to meddle Gav, one of mine is with Atik/QSI ATM  being fixed, had a problem with it starting with orange LED then Green LED then after a few  seconds flashing red LED then repeating the process.

Dave

Oh dear, I hope they sort yours out. How long have they had it for? I hate the idea of being without a camera for any length of time!

2 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

Oh dear, I hope they sort yours out. How long have they had it for? I hate the idea of being without a camera for any length of time!

About a week so far, I think they ship them off somewhere to be fixed.

Dave

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

About a week so far, I think they ship them off somewhere to be fixed.

Dave

Argh...! I am in conversation with Support now and am just waiting for them to say ‘please can you send it in’.

I just removed the fan screws, eased out the fans and had a look. There was a bit of general detritus in there, but not too bad. However, I did see that one of the fans has the red wire disconnected. That can’t be good. It seemed a bit corroded at the joint. Hopefully it’s quick, easy and cheap to fix. Yeah right, and we’ll have clear skies for two months straight too, starting tonight...

• 1 month later...

*Update*

QSI support have been very helpful and said that they would send me two replacement fans for me to splice in place of the old ones. I dropped them an email a few days ago asking for an update... ‘haven’t you received them yet? We sent them out a couple of weeks ago...’ was the reply. So, they have obviously been locked down somewhere en route. Drat!

I decided to take things into my own hands and trawled the web for replacement fans that could be delivered immediately. That was no easy task, but I found a company that had two almost identical* fans in stock. I jumped on them. They were delivered this morning and the micro-surgery took place a short while ago. The result might not be the prettiest bit of splicing ever seen, but there is a glorious hum coming from the back of my lovely QSI again!!

BBC095D7-ACF9-4ACE-8E9A-B014E9F84160.thumb.jpeg.a757b45805d3bac550cfeffc2f141e7e.jpeg

* I hope that ‘almost identical’ is near enough and they manage to deliver the required air flow to aid the cooling!

Fingers crossed.

Stay safe folks and how great are all these clear skies?!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have 2 QSI cameras and have them looked after by a Gentleman in Worksop,..  he can service them recharge the argon ,change out sensors etc etc ..he just replaced 2 fans for me using OE parts and checked the camera for less than £60 .. all in .. if you need his details just message me .. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Brian28 said:

I have 2 QSI cameras and have them looked after by a Gentleman in Worksop,..  he can service them recharge the argon ,change out sensors etc etc ..he just replaced 2 fans for me using OE parts and checked the camera for less than £60 .. all in .. if you need his details just message me .. 

Yes please, always good to have a reliable fixer up the sleeve! Thankfully my dodgy fix is working perfectly and the cooling is efficient, for now.

On 17/05/2020 at 21:36, Brian28 said:

Hi,

Could you please send me his details so that i can get in touch wiith this guy as my QSI 683 just died a horrible death - had a power spike or something as it fried camera as it gave off a plume of smoke and a strong burning smell

Cheers,

Richard.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Northernlight said:

Hi,

Could you please send me his details so that i can get in touch wiith this guy as my QSI 683 just died a horrible death - had a power spike or something as it fried camera as it gave off a plume of smoke and a strong burning smell

Cheers,

Richard.

Oh no, that does not sound good. I will PM you the details. 

Gents .. please don’t pass on the guys phone number , I have just spoken to him and he would rather people email him .. 

I will send email address via Pm if requested ..

cheers Brian 

Edited by Brian28
  • Like 2

Similar issue with ASI1600 (it's been out side a couple of year I suppose, on and off).

For a couple of weeks I could get it to spin by lightly taping with a tin bit gf card, then died completed.

Ordered replacement from an auction site - .80inc shipping.

6 weeks later, until this am*, no sign. Seller did offer a refund, but I opted to wait - it's the same model as supplied in the camera.

Purchased a different fan from RS and fitted slicing cakes - out side the body due space. Works good as new.

*this am received an email saying now in stock and shipping out today.