Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Waiting for ..........Puppis !

cotterless45

Puppis , just above the horizon here , but what a treat. South of Procyon and East of Sirius will find Puppis , it's here that the planetary nebula NGC 2440 sits. Nicely blinking in a wide field.

M47 is a real gem here , dominating here is the bright and wide binary Σ1121, a dazzling view. Sissy Haas gives 69 multiples here, most too low for Midlands. M46 looked really delicate, it holds the planetary nebula NGC 2438 at it's edge. NGC 2477 is a fabulously rich cluster and NGC 2467, a bright planetary nebula. Both too low from here.

Just a slow tour south , finding h3945 , the bright "winter Albireo " in CaMa. Another look at that sumptuous deep coal red of "Hind's crimson". Swing around to rising Canes Venatici in the north and a bright "La Superba"(Y CNv).

Monoceros gave a lovely view of "Hubble's variable nebula " NGC 2261. The 22mm LVW hardly picked it up, but it was clear with a BST 25mm eyepiece. Worth swapping around eyepieces. Another view of the spread of NGC 2301, what a view of "Hagrid's dragon".

Just tootling around the sky to the double cluster , M35, M67 and the busy M44.

Clear , but chill, then light cloud drifted in.

Here's to clear skies ! Nick.IMG_7465.thumb.JPG.aaa5bba829a2d347ba7a487b766d15ea.JPG

• Like 13

3 months nearly since I have been out weather has been terrible everytime set up cloud rolled in frustrating is not the word. Puppis is a no go for me I have houses all around and 3 story ones at the back of me I am lucky see anything.

Great report Nick I wont be copying your Puppis targets as explained 😪

Edited by wookie1965

Just in from a lovely session. Spent the first half following your targets from this report. I observed Hind’s Crimson star and La Superba through my frac for the first. Wow! The colour rendition is a real step up from the dob. Hind’s Crimson star is traffic light red and La Superba a deeper orange through the frac. 
Thank you for posting your reports, Nick. A constant source of inspiration...under clear skies :) 

• Like 2