SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Unusual Pixinsight/Windows 10 problem

Skipper Billy

If I have an XISF file on my desktop and double click it to open it (Pixinsight is set as the default programme for this file type) Windows says it is looking for the installation package - I have pointed it to the PI *.exe file and it thinks about it for a few seconds then crashes - any ideas ?? If I open Pixi then open the file it works just fine. Help!   (Windows 10 Pro and Pixi latest version)

Seems to open up fine for me. I opened it up from the downloads directory by clicking on it directly and then moved it to my desktop and did the same both time it opened fine.

However, PI notified me I had 6 updates which I installed, it then informed me I had 13 other updates which I also installed, then when it restarted it wanted to install the 6 previous updates, then the 13 again and so on in a perpetual circle s not sure what is going on there.

Steve

Actually something funny is happening now for me but i think it is since downloading the last updates for PI.

Eventually by rebooting the laptop my PI settled down and stopped asking me to download the same updates. But then any XISF file I clicked on did something similar to yours. When I click on the image icon it now always say windows is configuring Pixinsight and takes ages to open. Never did this before. But it does this with all my XISF images not just yours, so not sure what has happened.

Steve

I've definitely seen similar behaviour.  

When double clicking a xisf file, Windows launched what seemed like the PixInsight installer.  I cancelled this the first time and it got in a right state.  One reboot later and same thing happened but I let the installer finish.  After a time, PI opened and then told me I had updates (the same updates I'd installed previously).  It was like it was running PI as a separate user.  I wouldn't have thought Windows elevation would have caused this behaviour but maybe.

I've been opening PI first and then opening a project or file / drag drop file so haven't "tested" this again!

Now I cannot open any XISF file directly, it opens up PI then says no such file. And that is for any image.

I tried uninstalling PI and re-installing but no difference. Tried uninstalling and installing much earlier versions but still the same. 

I never had this before the updates but it seems to have done something, maybe to the Win10 registry that has upset something.

Steve

Hi

This was/is a known problem caused by a windows update- I thought it was solved by the latest release of pixinsight

this means a full reinstall - not just a update

If it is still a problem please post of the pixinsight forum and hopefully it will be looked into

cheers

Harry

12 minutes ago, harry page said:

this means a full reinstall - not just a update

If it is still a problem please post of the pixinsight forum and hopefully it will be looked into

A full reinstall of Pixi or Windows ??  I dont mind reinstalling Pixi but dont fancy reinstalling W10 !

I will post it on the Pixi forum.

I had the same issue 2 or 3 nights ago, thought something was amiss when I opened a project file and it proceded to 'install'.

I cancelled it the first time, but let it run the second time - in which it then showed '13 updates' to install, which it had already done before.

I then tried again last night, same result - wanted to reinstall itself.

I'm sure that by now, the Pixinsight people are aware and will look at it

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jonk said:

I had the same issue 2 or 3 nights ago, thought something was amiss when I opened a project file and it proceded to 'install'.

I cancelled it the first time, but let it run the second time - in which it then showed '13 updates' to install, which it had already done before.

I then tried again last night, same result - wanted to reinstall itself.

I'm sure that by now, the Pixinsight people are aware and will look at it

Sorry you are having issues but I am glad its not just me !

I have posted the issue on the PI forum.

• Thanks 1

I has the same issue after the last update. There was a post on the pixinsight forums about it.

Solution: Uninstall Pixinsight then  download latest version and re-install. (i.e. doing updates within PI doesnt fix it)

I think this was the post https://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?topic=14562.msg87376#msg87376

Rob.

Edited by Rob63
Added link to PI forum.
  • Like 1

SOLUTION FOUND. Uninstalled Pixinsight - shut machine down fully - re-install Pixinsight latest version - hey presto!! NB - it did not work if the machine was 'restarted' between uninstall and re-install - only when fully shut down and restarted. It also didn't work if the machine wasn't shut down at all between uninstall and reinstall.

Must be as suggested something to do with the registry.

Another minor irritant removed from life v1.0 !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1