Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

If You Could...

Benjam

Only choose one object in the sky, to either image or view, what would it be? And... why? 

For me, it would be imaging the Milky Way in a remote location with a scenic backdrop. I could travel light with just a camera and tripod. 

For me, it has to be the Perseus Double Cluster - easy to spot regardless of pollution and the Moon, and it's something I can just get absorbed in and fascinated by.  And I also agree with Steve - we are so lucky to have the beautiful Moon so close with its wealth of detail - hugely varied, often subtle, and ceaselessly changing.

Doug.

• Like 7

M42. I like the the way you can observe this under many different mags. So much to see at very low and really high powers. also  the way this object always seems to look different from one night to the next depending on the conditions. Naked eye if your lucky, binoculars and scopes... And of course it's great to image.  This thing has it all.

• Like 1

I think I am going to have to say Jupiter. As mentioned in another thread Big Jupiter has given me some happy memories, I look forward to observing it again this year and trying to explore it in more depth. Its 4 large moons are also a joy to see.

Roll on when it is higher in the night sky.

That said the moon does continue to make me say "wow" out loud when viewed. It is a beautiful sight to see.

Baz

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John said:

Quite a lot of folks get most of their astro satisfaction from observing the Sun. I know a few who do practically nothing else.

Initially I wasn't to keen on observing the sun, However I would now like to purchase some solar film and have a look.  I am a bit dubious about viewing it however and need to do some reading up on it first.

3 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Initially I wasn't to keen on observing the sun, However I would now like to purchase some solar film and have a look.  I am a bit dubious about viewing it however and need to do some reading up on it first.

Hello Baz

I’m using a EclipSmart Solar Filter, though it’s designed for SCT’s. This will hopefully  give you a rough idea on what can be achieved. I’ve had some success imaging Sun Spots and the Mercury transit, last year.

78011695-B994-47FB-8203-7A417434D5D6.jpeg.ee13adde3b604d5ab2985c938b615e53.jpeg

C0B14DFD-2EA0-4246-A74A-38545C40A60C.thumb.jpeg.41b4b99722bf6e60efdcb39410a38966.jpeg77E0E873-C608-4DB2-90AD-9FE585A59D75.thumb.jpeg.fe0198568e509cad79db157ba8c9db00.jpeg

22 hours ago, Benjam said:

Only choose one object in the sky, to either image or view, what would it be?

This is an example of cruel and unusual punishment.

22 hours ago, John said:

Tough question to answer. As an observer I think it might be Jupiter for me. Always something going on there and the details change as you observe.

Before I got my scope, I knew that I wanted to observe Jupiter, but I did not realize just how deeply I would fall in love with observing the activity of Jupiter and its moons.

22 hours ago, Saganite said:

Apologies for repeating yet again that for me it would be the Moon. Incredibly rich in detail and features of immense interest.

I love going out with my scope and Moon atlas, and finding features.

20 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

For me, it has to be the Perseus Double Cluster - easy to spot regardless of pollution and the Moon, and it's something I can just get absorbed in and fascinated by.

I love coming back again and again and again to the Double Cluster. Observing open clusters makes me feel like I am actually in deep space, like in Star Trek or Star Wars.

• Like 3

Another vote for Jupiter.....

Usually around every year

Usually at a reasonable height

Shows good detail in smaller scopes

Doesn’t need high magnification

Always changing surface features

Major moons add interest too

Edited by dweller25

For me it couldn't be one object, it would be to view the entire sky from the Island of Tristan Da Cunha in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean; possibly the darkest sky location on the planet.

Edited by L8-Nite
spell check
  • Like 2