Narrowband

Heather Couper

NGC 1502

Very sad news indeed. My initial instinct was that she was far too young, but that is showing my own age, as we are from the same generation and I remember her best as a young, charismatic  communicator from the 1980s. At 70 she was still far too young, but older than I imagined, but then I'm still only 40 something - RIGHT...🤪

• Like 1

Desperately sad. I've just heard it now on PM, buried down among the "other news". That alone makes me spit, shows just how low science is rated on the beeb, below "celebrities".

70 is no age at all.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, DaveS said:

That is so sad. do you have a link, as the Beeb don't rate it high enough to put it on their site yet.

Also can't find anything on the BAA website and she was a past president....!! Actually the first female and the second youngest person to hold the position

Such sad news. I’ll always remember sitting with Heather and Nigel on Alderney watching the eclipse. When it ended I remember she looked down and spotted a pair of very amorous snails sparking a really interesting conversation on the effects the eclipse had on nature. 

• Like 2

Heather Couper (b. 1949 - d. 2020)

Such sad news. She visited Reading Astronomical Society many years ago, (late 1970's/early 1980's, I think), and I asked her to sign my copy of 'Patrick Moore's pocket guide to The Stars and Planets' in which she obligingly did; and is now becoming something of an autograph book as it includes Nik Szymanek and Stephen Tonkin @BinocularSky. The year I forgot to take it to AstroFest, Sir Patrick Moore was there in attendance and unable get his autograph.

• Like 1