Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Photo editing software (Mac) recommendations

Ouroboros

I am looking for a general photo editing application for my MacBook.  It is not specifically for processing Astro images. I use Pixinsight for that.  I don’t mind paying for an application, within reason, but I definitely do not want to pay a subscription to Adobe for Photoshop. 

The sort of editing I want to do include: histograms, levels, colour balance, crop, re-sample, rescale, resize, add text and print. 

Any suggestions/recommendations? 

Some background: I have used my own copy of Photoshop CS5 running in Windows for many years. But now Windows 7 is no longer being supported I have decided to junk Windows completely and move across to only using Mac compatible software.  It will also clear some space on my Mac because I have been running Windows 7 as a virtual machine. 

Thanks all for your suggestions. Affinity looks good.  Looks like it allows you to open Photoshop files. Could be useful. 

Gimp is another possibility. I have used it 10 years or so ago. I wasn’t that impressed back then but it’s probably improved since. 

Another happy Affinity Photo user here, I did use PS CS6 for ages but it does not support the latest Canon RAW files anymore and didn't want the faff of having to convert them. The transition to AP was painless with its good layout and user interface plus it has many more features too at what I consider a bargain price.

Alan

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I wasn't impressed by GIMP either, but Affinity Photo is even better than Photoshop for me. I've been using PS for a long time while I was a student, but I'm not anymore and I don't like to pay 20$ per month for Adobe software so I was looking for something simple and user-friendly. And from my experience, it's better to download a few apps free of charge to edit your photos than to pay for a package. I use Affinity Photo and Colorizer for basic editing like to crop pictures, colorize photo, make retouch, etc.

Edited by GordonFisher
  • Like 1