Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The ultimate observing hood!

Ships and Stars

I picked one of these US Military Extreme Cold Weather Snorkel Hood  from ebay for £15.99 and had a chance to try it last night. Brilliant! Blocks out all stray light at the EP and is very warm. Great for binoculars too. 

Looks a bit silly on it's own, but much better once you've put your coat on - it's dark who cares, right? Actually fits quite snugly like a hat, not like some giant hoods on outdoor parkas made to be work over climbing helmets, etc.

New, unused stock but been in storage so has that 'been in storage' surplus smell but clean. 

Built like a brick as you'd expect of mil-spec gear. fleece lined, waterproof. Fits any coat, straps go under arms. Front zip, fake fur can be flipped back and hood flips down like any normal parka.

I used this with my dob and binos under some LP and it does an outstanding job at blocking out virtually all stray light. The hood can be shaped to fit around EPs or bins.

I was tempted to buy the rest of the remaining stock and flog them myself.

Thought I'd let people know 👍 

IMG_20200219_104437682_2.jpg

IMG_20200219_104528781_2.jpg

IMG_20200219_104556282_2.jpg

Observing Hood_mil surplus.jpg

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, johninderby said:

Looks like it would be great for solar observing. 👍🏻

Although in midsummer dressed in shorts anf t-shirt and the hood doing a bit of solar observing you could get a few odd looks. 😁😁

Trendsetter! Be sure and wear sandals too. 

1 hour ago, DAVE AMENDALL said:

That's a practical solution. I am sure it would work well. . Night time might scare the people who live nearby and tempt them to put their security lights on though   ...Dave

You could look like a cast member from John Carpenter's 'The Thing' for just £15.99! 

Seriously, it doesn't look bad once you've put a coat on. Blends in. Er, mostly.

Certainly block out stray light effectively and is warm. 

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 1