Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Es 14mm 82°

R.frankish

56 minutes ago, R.frankish said:

Just wondering why my new eyepiece doesn't have a clear view it's like the telescope doesn't zoom out enough or is it because I am looking at something to close I was trying it out looking at a bird in a tree 

The ES 82'2 do focus a bit further out than some other eyepieces, such as the Baader Morpheus range, but the Tele Vue Nagler T6's are even worse in that respect , focusing some 3-4mm further out still, you may find that you need an extension tube (probably just 35mm), the Revelation range are quite good and modestly priced

John 

The closest focus distance of newtonians can be as much as 100 metres away. Racking the focuser right out and pulling the eyepiece partially out of the focus tube might enable you to reach focus. The instrument was designed to view objects a lot further away of course :smiley:

I would start by seeing if any of your pre-existing eyepieces will reach focus on that tree.  If not, with the focuser racked all the way out, loosen the eyepiece (I'd start with your lowest powered one) and start lifting it up and out of the focuser, always looking in it to see if the tree comes into focus.  If it does, note the distance between the shoulder of the eyepiece and top of the focuser tube.  You'll need to get an extension tube at least that long to reach that close of a focus.  I'd probably get one another inch longer so you don't have to have the focuser racked all the way out and to allow you to focus even closer in the future with the focuser racked all the way out.

2 hours ago, johnturley said:

you may find that you need an extension tube (probably just 35mm)

Hi there, I use Baader Fine Tuning Rings (FTRs) for this purpose as I found the standard extensions took it too far out.  I always have the 14mm and the 28mm close at hand, fits snugly in the diagonal.  But as others have said, the telescope was built for observing objects much further away (2 billion miles?), so try it out on Orion or the Moon.  The 14mm ExSc 82º is a classic and very useful ep to have in your armoury, so stick with it.  Clear skies!

• Like 2