SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Check Your Astrobin

44 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

I've tried this, but so far no success. Under Edit Basic info I have to search for the image in my backup then save for it to be restored, but it is tricky to find the correct image for each revision as sometimes I have many versions in my back up, but maybe only Original + A + B on Astrobin, so trying to recall which of my revisions is A, B, etc., is not so easy. If I have to reload all of them, then probably I will end up with just final (and maybe original) versions, which will be sufficient for me.....

This has worked for me 1 out of 2 so far.  That’s something

Rodd

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, carastro said:

If you click on the sad face and open up the image and find the image is there (but not the thumbnail).

Click on Edit at the top, and then Thumbnail.  Set the position of your thumbnail if you want to move it and click save.

Carole 

I take it back. It seemed to work but the sad face reappears when I leave the page and come back 

• Sad 1

I now managed to restore all my "lost" 100+ out of 340 images on Astrobin by just clicking on them and go to Edit Basic Information and scroll down and press Save. Now my mouse arm just needs to recover from scrolling down and down and down....

Hopefully it could be equally easy (although tideous) for most of you. Apparently I was only suffering from broken links.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gorann said:

It has so far worked for all my "lost" images, so at least for me it seems to be a case of broken links. What I do is just to press the thumbnail, go to Edit Basic Information, I change nothing there but scroll down to the bottom and just press Save.

55 minutes ago, carastro said:

If you click on the sad face and open up the image and find the image is there (but not the thumbnail).

Click on Edit at the top, and then Thumbnail.  Set the position of your thumbnail if you want to move it and click save.

Carole 

Thanks both, I've tried the methods that you suggest, but they have not worked on any of the images I've tried, so I have to locate the correct image for each revision one by one, add it and then save. This works, but as I discovered I need to be in the corresponding Astrobin version when uploading the image, or I get the wrong images tied to the revision descriptions. I'm sure with care and by taking my time I will be able to recover most images, but I'm going to leave it a few days to see what transpires with Sal's continuing recovery efforts......

5 minutes ago, gorann said:

By the way Rodd, I hope you have back up on a har drive this time🥴.

What is presumably safer--a hard drive I purchase for $100 at home--so far at least one of those has broken and all data was lost--or a pay, professional site that is supposed to safeguard my data?  I used Astrobin to store my images becuase any device I buy is subject to power surges and being defective etc, etc.  So no, I do not have a backup drive.  Astrobin WAS my backup

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Rodd said:

What is presumably safer--a hard drive I purchase for $100 at home--so far at least one of those has broken and all data was lost--or a pay, professional site that is supposed to safeguard my data?  I used Astrobin to store my images becuase any device I buy is subject to power surges and being defective etc, etc.  So no, I do not have a backup drive.  Astrobin WAS my backup

Scary! Then there is always these "clouds". I would not trust only one hard drive so I have everything saved on two harddrives and expect that they will not crash simultaneously. Also, I keep one at home and one in my little backpack that is usually with me if I am not at home.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

I cannot even see the sad face when I try to load anything past the 1st page on Astrobin, I just get the egg timer on every thumbnail which never goes away.... Fingers crossed that things will improve..... 🤞

That was the same for me - and the egg timers were all just broken links.

Just now, gorann said:

That was the same for me - and the egg timers were all just broken links.

I've tried some of them, but there are no images, so for me it is not just broken links. I have tried maybe 15-20 thumbnails at random, but so far none have been able to retrieve the associated images. I have uploaded the original and revisions for my latest 2 images from backup (actually they were still on my laptop so easy to find), but older images will require more time and effort.

5 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

I've tried some of them, but there are no images, so for me it is not just broken links. I have tried maybe 15-20 thumbnails at random, but so far none have been able to retrieve the associated images. I have uploaded the original and revisions for my latest 2 images from backup (actually they were still on my laptop so easy to find), but older images will require more time and effort.

I just looked at your Astrobin page Geof and you are apparently very badly hit - 363 images and right now almost all apear to be gone😣. It will be quite a task to upload them all again so let's hope that Salvatore and his team find you images and can link them. In any case they have to find out what has gone wrong so they can be sure it will not happen again tomorrow, or next month or year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gorann said:

I just looked at your Astrobin page Geof and you are apparently very badly hit - 363 images and right now almost all apear to be gone😣. It will be quite a task to upload them all again so let's hope that Salvatore and his team find you images and can link them. In any case they have to find out what has gone wrong so they can be sure it will not happen again tomorrow, or next month or year.

Indeed....!!

Seems I have been luckier than most.  Despite saying I would leave it, I got stuck in and have restored my public gallery.

87 images affected out of 183

72 were thumbnails so using my method above have restored all of them.

12 were lost so I had to find them on my back up drives.

It's taken about 6 hours in total and now I have to tackle my staging gallery and my personal website where all the images are hosted from Astrobin.

Guys, why do you need to reinstate all your revisions, surely it is only the final image you need to install, the one that you are most satisfied with?  

I too found it a little difficult to find the correct image when I had done several of the same image over the years and as a similar time, but luckily my descriptions on AB helped with that. 

Carole 

• Like 1

Hopefully it's just a link/glich issue.

But remember - the cloud just means "someone else's computers".

Using the cloud as your prime backup is just "asking for it". Hopefully in this case you didn't just "get it".

Fingers crossed.

NB - IT Professional working on Databases for large Multi-National Companies - so I know a little bit about what I am talking about.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ian_bird said:

Hopefully it's just a link/glich issue.

But remember - the cloud just means "someone else's computers".

Using the cloud as your prime backup is just "asking for it". Hopefully in this case you didn't just "get it".

Fingers crossed.

NB - IT Professional working on Databases for large Multi-National Companies - so I know a little bit about what I am talking about.

All true--but that is what we pay a site to do....safeguard our data, no?  From Salvatore's earlier post, it seems he perhaps lacked a bit of experience with...(he used a bunch of technical jargon that you are no doubt familiar with)...he even said this.  Personally, its hard to fault non professional IT people who pay a site to store their data....to me that is going above and beyond storing data at home in retail hard drive units)....Duplication?....I would rather pay a professional to do it then do it myself.  Its like paying a home security company to protect your home, then sitting out with a shotgun at night in case the system fails.  Defeats the whole purpose.  Now, if the site had warned us that they were not protecting our data and that we should not rely on them for that....maybe I would not have joined that particular site.  But I think that they believed they were safeguarding the images...so back to how can you fault members?  It would be like taking my car to the auto dealer for repair under warranty then taking the car to my own mechanic to mack sure they did it right.  If the dealer said"we will replace the part but will not guarantee that it is done properly"--I would just go to my mechanic.

In short...many people pay a site like astrobin to eliminate the need to buy a bunch of hard drives and back up their data 3 times and keep redoing it every year and replacing the hard drives every year....it gets nuts.   After all...I do not back up my bank account at home...the bank takes care of that because they have professionals who do it and they have insurance.  My fault was trusting Astrobin....but why wouldn't I?  It had a good reputation, and I am not an IT professional---who am I to question?

Rodd

44 minutes ago, Rodd said:

All true--but that is what we pay a site to do....safeguard our data, no?  From Salvatore's earlier post, it seems he perhaps lacked a bit of experience with...(he used a bunch of technical jargon that you are no doubt familiar with)...he even said this.  Personally, its hard to fault non professional IT people who pay a site to store their data....to me that is going above and beyond storing data at home in retail hard drive units)....Duplication?....I would rather pay a professional to do it then do it myself.  Its like paying a home security company to protect your home, then sitting out with a shotgun at night in case the system fails.  Defeats the whole purpose.  Now, if the site had warned us that they were not protecting our data and that we should not rely on them for that....maybe I would not have joined that particular site.  But I think that they believed they were safeguarding the images...so back to how can you fault members?  It would be like taking my car to the auto dealer for repair under warranty then taking the car to my own mechanic to mack sure they did it right.  If the dealer said"we will replace the part but will not guarantee that it is done properly"--I would just go to my mechanic.

In short...many people pay a site like astrobin to eliminate the need to buy a bunch of hard drives and back up their data 3 times and keep redoing it every year and replacing the hard drives every year....it gets nuts.   After all...I do not back up my bank account at home...the bank takes care of that because they have professionals who do it and they have insurance.  My fault was trusting Astrobin....but why wouldn't I?  It had a good reputation, and I am not an IT professional---who am I to question?

Rodd

If I get you right you have also used the data backup option in Astrobin? I never did that since I felt was no guarantee that it was 100% safe. I have only posted my down sized jpg files there.

6 minutes ago, gorann said:

If I get you right you have also used the data backup option in Astrobin? I never did that since I felt was no guarantee that it was 100% safe. I have only posted my down sized jpg files there.

No.....what I am saying is I pay for a site to safeguard my images.  If my images are not safe, what’s the point in paying?  If the images are not safe, there should Be a disclosure to this effect.  We are not all IT professionals. I find it very disturbing that using a hard drive I purchase for $60 is safer than a paid site.  

Btw. I never down size.  My images are full 10 meg JPEGs. The same files the printers want

Edited by Rodd

38 minutes ago, Rodd said:

No.....what I am saying is I pay for a site to safeguard my images.  If my images are not safe, what’s the point in paying?  If the images are not safe, there should Be a disclosure to this effect.  We are not all IT professionals. I find it very disturbing that using a hard drive I purchase for $60 is safer than a paid site.  

Btw. I never down size.  My images are full 10 meg JPEGs. The same files the printers want

But when you save them as jpg they are only 8 bit (at least in PS) so not very useful for further processing. Maybe I am missing something, can you save them as 16 bit jpg?

EDIT: I just down loaded your last M1 image from Astrobin and it is 8 bit and only 1.6 Mb.

Edited by gorann

17 minutes ago, gorann said:

But when you save them as jpg they are only 8 bit (at least in PS) so not very useful for further processing. Maybe I am missing something, can you save them as 16 bit jpg?

EDIT: I just down loaded your last M1 image from Astrobin and it is 8 bit and only 1.6 Mb.

You can save them at 100%, in PI there is a slider that allows you to control compression--  All the printers I have used want JPEGS.  They wont take FITs and certainly not xisf. 

4 minutes ago, Rodd said:

You can save them at 100%, in PI there is a slider that allows you to control compression--  All the printers I have used want JPEGS.  They wont take FITs and certainly not xisf. 

Yes, but it looks like your files there are only 8 bit so only 256 brighteness levels. Can you download them from Astrobin as 16 bit (65 536 levels)?

Edited by gorann

1 minute ago, gorann said:

Yes, but it looks like your files there are only 8 bit so only 256 brighteness levels. Can you download them from Astrobin as 16 bit (65 536 levels)?

You cant upload files to Astrobin for viewing except JPEGS.  All I know is the printers want JPEGs, and screens cant show 16 bit--so what is the point?

Just now, Rodd said:

You cant upload files to Astrobin for viewing except JPEGS.  All I know is the printers want JPEGs, and screens cant show 16 bit--so what is the point?

The point is that if you saved your image as an 8 bit image (=jpg) you cannot tease anything more out of it from further processing since you lost 99.6 % of the dynamic range. So it is a very poor backup. All processing books will tell you that you should always save in an uncompressed format, like tif (or fits = tif but with some text info on the capture). So, using the normal Astrobin as a way to save your data is not a good idea,