Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher ED72 on Heq5

The mount is the most important component of any imaging system and the HEQ5 Pro is an excellent choice in this regard, especially with a small refractor like the Sky-Watcher 72ED. This refractor, especially later versions should be a good basis for an imaging rig but you will also require a field flattener and the one supplied by OVL specifically for this instrument would be a good choice.

Good luck on the slippery slope that is astrophotography!

Hi. I use a SW 72 ED on a HEQ5 pro and find it a great combination. I had got the 72 ed as a compliment to my SW130 pds but have found that it is so easy to use I have stopped using my !30 pds and am thinking of getting rid of it. I have one of the early 72EDs and use a TS FF/FR and find it works well with my Zwo 1600mm. Dont think you can go to wrong.

I use the William Optics ZS73 on the HEQ5PRO. It is an excellent mount for this size of telescope and slightly wider apertures like 102s. You will see even more of an improvement by converting to belt drive - the Rowan belt mod that I have is excellent.

The mount will be a great combo for your scope but get a field flattener, look at getting a guide scope for longer exposures and you will be well on the way to spending lots more cash down this rabbit hole called Astrophotography.

On 17/02/2020 at 01:12, AstroExploring said:

I use an HEQ5 with 72ED. I generally shoot 2 minute exposures with no guiding but I could easily push that a bit more I think

Hi

Perfect round stars?I'm also interested in this set-up.

• Like 1