SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Binoviewer to fit Sky-Watcher EXPLORER-130PDS

PatrickO

I'd like to give bino viewers a try.

I have a Sky-Watcher Explorer-130PDS Newtonian Reflector . Does anyone know which bino viewer would work without adaption. 

Would something like the Williams Optics work. Williams Optics Binoviewer

Planning to use a pair of Baader 8-24mm Mk3 zoom eyepieces.

Thanks, Patrick

Edited by PatrickO

Hi, as the scope uses 1.25" eyepieces as does the Williams Bino nose piece it should fit but I'm not able to say what views it would give with your scope, though I'm sure people here will be able to advise . I use the Williams with a Celestron C8 and C90 Mak , both different types of scopes to yours. But I must say that with the Williams views of the moon, which is my main target as I live in central Cardiff, are delightful and relaxing using two eyes..

Our hosts First Light Optics (who can supply the Williams) from whom I've got my kit would give you great info on your set up and what works best re eyepieces.

Cheers 

Martin

• Like 1

You'll need about 100mm of in-focus/back-focus to reach focus without using an OCA/GPC.  The Williams unit comes with a 1.6x one that might be decent.  The 1.85x and 3.0x ones that came with my Arcturus binoviewer were awful.  They introduced linear coma as if they had tilted optics.  I use the nosepiece from a Meade 140 2x binoviewer to reach focus at about 3.0x instead in my Dob.