SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DIY Eyepiece Projection Adapter

kbrown

I wanted to have the possibility of imaging using eyepiece projection so I thought I'd try to put something together with what I already have and 3D print the rest. I have no prior experience on the subject so any advice is welcome. I don't think I'll be doing any serious imaging this way but I thought it might be handy way to inspect the optics in a star test using a high magnification eyepiece for example. The thing I do not know is how far behind the eyepiece should the sensor go? Often the eye relief of an EP is mere few millimetres but does the sensor need to be at this distance?

Here's what I've done so far:

IMG_20200215_013242.jpg.8c0254189c96eb6a1d05696d0f0060aa.jpg

At the bottom there's my 3D printed adaptor where I can pop my eyepiece in. The adaptor screws into the M48 filter threads of a 2" nose piece as shown below:

IMG_20200215_013414.jpg.6ceceb877c3dba239284332492df3b2f.jpg

IMG_20200215_013433.jpg.8cc5f17755bb8ced42d7cf3315eb2afb.jpg

I have a way to attach my QHY5L-II mono to this system already but I'm unsure how far or close to the eyepiece it should be? With the system I have I can't get it very close at the moment...

According to https://starizona.com/tutorial/eyepiece-projection-calculator/ the camera distance from the eyepiece isn't that critical and is actually a way to control the final magnification. 

I guess what I have should work. It's essentially two 2" nose pieces connected with an extension tube. The adapter is on the front nose piece and the camera on the back of the other one. I can slide the camera in and out within a limit. 

All I need is some clear skies to test this 😊

IMG_20200218_233159.jpg