Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hi all,

For a long time I wanted to shoot this frame, probably from the early days of my astrophotography adventure.

Finally after all these years I managed to get a decent result of the 'stuff' between these two beautiful nebulae. Fairly happy with the image but always looking for improvement.

I hope one day to redo this all with a mono camera and filters. 

Apart from NGC1499 , M45 and the Baby Eagle Nebula no idea what else is in the picture. If you happen to have an idea feel free to educate me.

Some info on image and capturing:

Widefield Pleiades to California.

Taken over 2 nights with a total of 11hrs 25min integration.  

With a stock Nikon d610 and Nikkor 85mm 1.8 objective.

Tracking was done with the Skywatcher Star Adventurer.

Lights and all calibrations frames were stacked in DSS.

Processing was done in Adobe Photoshop CC using Adobe Raw, GradientXterminator plugin, HLVG plugin, Nik software plugins and Photokemi action set.

Ken

126656283_widefieldpleiadescalif11hr25neweditB.thumb.jpg.0149e6bc7d7fd0bd66045e75d31a7b00.jpg

• Like 31

Outstanding image and a quality level of detail I’d love to achieve, great to see what can be produced with 11+ hours. 

Im lucky to get 2 hours of clear weather in a week at the moment.

well done. 

• Like 1

I think that is a great image, so natural looking.

• Like 1

Lovely image.  As already said, very natural looking.

• Like 1

Very nicely done!!  Deep with great range and not overblown.  Lovely image  :)

Paul

As other noted 'natural'.

• Like 1

Around Atik either side there is LDN 1468, 1470, 1471, 1472.
Atik is the top star of the bright pair in the centre.

To the right of Atik is IC 348 bluish nebulosity.

LBN 785 bottom right of centre blue cone shape.

Edited by wxsatuser
  • Thanks 1

An absolutely stunning image, gorgeous !!

• Like 1

Awesome!

Did you have the aperture stopped back at all, or was it taken at 1.8?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, adyj1 said:

Awesome!

Did you have the aperture stopped back at all, or was it taken at 1.8?

Just had a look at the raw and I stopped down to f4 and used iso 400 on the camera. At f1.8 the lens has some coma in the corners and a good amount of vignette.

At f2.8 the coma is mostly removed but I'm not too happy with the amount of vignette. f4 did the trick for me.

Ken

• Thanks 1

Ooh Ken, that is so beautiful!
           thtoppoints.gif.47be2f48cc0314cc4db55dea4554caa7.gif

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ken Mitchell said:

Just had a look at the raw and I stopped down to f4 and used iso 400 on the camera. At f1.8 the lens has some coma in the corners and a good amount of vignette.

At f2.8 the coma is mostly removed but I'm not too happy with the amount of vignette. f4 did the trick for me.

Ken

Thanks a lot for the info - I have a Walimex 85mm 1.8 and this gives me a good starting point... 

9 hours ago, adyj1 said:

Thanks a lot for the info - I have a Walimex 85mm 1.8 and this gives me a good starting point... 

No problem.

I've never used the Walimex though, so you'll have to do some test for yourself to determine it's best f stop. I imagine there will be some differences but from what I've read it's a really good astro lens and many shoot wide open with it, even better :) 

Ken