Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Christmas Tree Cluster, Fox Fur Nebula and Cone Nebula in Monoceros (NGC 2264)

Skyline

I took this image of NGC2264 from Monday night, while processing I realised I might have lengthened my subs too long using my ASI 294MC Pro instead of taking shorter subs, I let you be the judge.

Taken with 36x300 Subs with using a Optolong L-Enhance filter using a Skywatcher 130PDS & SW CC 0.9x

N.

NGC2264_1920.jpg

Edited by Skyline
  • Like 11

I have 4 renditions of this. I found the decreasing the stretch to reduce the red blotches also the faint stuff would be faint as well. I did use a noise reduction filter but not aggressively. 

Even though it would have giving a slight better balance of colours. I do wonder are the blotches are more apparent due to the length of subs taken, as the noise levels on coloured cmos cameras to be much more then a conventional ccd sensors.

Maybe someone with more knowledge then I can comment.

N.

• Like 1

On 15/02/2020 at 09:56, Skyline said:

I have 4 renditions of this. I found the decreasing the stretch to reduce the red blotches also the faint stuff would be faint as well. I did use a noise reduction filter but not aggressively. 

Even though it would have giving a slight better balance of colours. I do wonder are the blotches are more apparent due to the length of subs taken, as the noise levels on coloured cmos cameras to be much more then a conventional ccd sensors.

Maybe someone with more knowledge then I can comment.

N.

I've recently taken a similar image and found the same thing.  The first exposures show lots of lovely detail, and it looked like it wasn't going to need a lot to produce a decent image.

However, I think that there is a huge range of brightness and the faint stull really needs lots of exposure.

So, I think that there is a choice between showing the faint stuff and having everything looking smooth.

It's a lovely image either way, so it isn't really very important.