Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher AZ Synscan broken height adjustment clamp

So, I overtightened one of the all-too-flimsy height adjustment clamps on the tripod legs and fractured it (see photo).

I've tried gluing it but it didn't take. 

The photo makes it look a lot worse than it is - in reality you can barely notice it and it doesn't really affect the operation because it still holds the leg in place - but I'd rather either fix it or replace it.

For fixing it, does anyone have a recommendation for glue that will definitely work? I guess I could just strap it with duck tape.

For replacing it (my preferred option, in case I ever want to sell this), I've looked around and can't seem to find this as something that can be bought separately. Any recommendations on that score?

IMG_20200214_144956.jpg

Edited by BrendanC

Thanks for the suggestion but I'd rather have something that looks 'right'. The clamp still works but it looks a bit rough. The mid term plan is to sell and upgrade and I'd be happier selling something in as mint condition as possible. I'm surprised they're not more readily available as spares online. 

The larger diameter part of the clamp body is riveted to the bottom of the upper tube. This makes it very difficult for most people to replace - hence no after-sales spares. Even if you managed to get a replacement clamp, it is unlikely that you would be able to attach it with a fixing that permitted the inner tube to retract, or look "as new". So I would repair. Based on your photo:-

(1) remove the white traces of duct tape glue.

(2) get some single-strand wire 0.5 to 1.0 mm diameter, copper or steel - the green coated wire sold in garden centres would be fine - even nylon chord or fishing line would probably work; and wrap it as a coil, starting at the top, to pull the two broken surfaces together ( Google "whipping end of rope" to show the best way to stop it unraveling).

(3) coat your coil with "superglue" or epoxy-resin glue, penetrating the gaps between the turns of the coil, so the coil is attached to the plastic - just make sure it does not flow through the split to get inside the clamp and lock the lower tube.

(4) when the glue is set, paint with black paint if you want the repair to be less noticeable.

You may want to do the same to the other 2 clamps to stop them splitting in the future. It's much easier to "beef up" an intact clamp, than repair a split one.

Geoff

• Like 1

I had a similar problem when one of the plastic mouldings forming the extender clamp of a SE6/8 mount leg cracked across.  I stuck it back with Araldite and cut a piece of metal tube to sleeve over the repair, securing it with the Araldite.  Even without paint, the repair is not noticeable unless one crouches down to look.  Note that you do NOT have to do up the clamps too tightly to stop the leg retracting under load.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions!

As luck would have it, I did actually find an entire leg for sale on Astroboot, for 16 quid, so that's not too bad (even if delivery costs £13!)

Totally get what you're saying about the clamp being riveted, so it looks like maybe replacing the whole leg is in fact the best (and perhaps only) solution to this. I just wanted to have it as pristine as possible, and I won't be overtightening them any time in future...

• Like 1

Hi bad news that if it was me just for now I would put a cable tie above and below the screw in lock it will hold it together for now and stop the crack from spreading till you get a new leg be a shame if it gives way and your telescope getting damaged

• Like 1

I may still have a full tripod leg with clamps somewhere. I'm away from home at the moment tho. Can check at the weekend and let you know? If that's any use?

Sorry, just seen the post where you got one from astroboot. 

Glad you got sorted. 

Edited by Bobby1970